Mildew on peas

• 19 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Mildew on peas
« on: August 06, 2011, 21:01 »
Both my Alderman peas and my mangetout are starting to look quite sad and mildewy. I wouldn't want to put chemicals on a plant that's currently cropping, but is there anything else I can do to help with this?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Mildew on peas
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 22:08 »
Is it time to consign them to the compost, perhaps ?

This time in the year they might have just run out of steam  :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 22:11 »
C'est la vie!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 22:20 »
Us pea growers know this is fact of life  :(  Im so tempted to plant another couple of rows, but experience (and DD) tells me they will end up like yours.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 22:30 »
I just picked a fabulous crop of peas today but the plants are beginning to show signs of mildew.  Couple more kilos of shucked peas to freeze for winter so it worth the late planting them.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:52 »
I'm a little disappointed with the yield from my Alderman. I did a double 7' row of canes, and I chucked loads of seeds in the drills. They seemed to grow well, went straight up to the top of the canes, but all I've had is 3 side veg meals for 2 people, with maybe one more meal left in immature pods. So even with the tall peas it's still not very much to show for the space. The mangetout are also a tall variety, same number of plants, but the trickle of pods never really amounted to more than something to put in a stirfry.

And I still haven't had a single runner bean from my White Lady :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:01 »
My White Lady have just started to produce and by the looks of them are going to be difficult to stop now. When did you sow/plant them?

Likewise with the Alderman. When did they go in? I'm getting a few, but they were sown later than I would normally sow peas. I only did them as a friend of mine gave me some galvanised grills that make splendid climbing frames.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 09:16 »
Does anyone bother with a dilute milk spray for mildew, i've used it before and it definitly puts the mildew at bay for a while longer. If you thought there was more cropping in the plants i'd use it.
1:8 milk to water. Spray affected plants.
Liv.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:03 »
I've grown "Ambassador" peas as a late crop and they have done really well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:11 »
My un-named Wilkinson's sugarsnaps have been cropping for about 3 weeks and have provided loads of sugarsnaps proper, shelled peas when they got too big, and lots of yellowing pods to save seed for next year.

The plants are looking well and truly knackered now, although they aren't showing any signs of mildew.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 10:27 »
My un-named Wilkinson's sugarsnaps have been cropping for about 3 weeks and have provided loads of sugarsnaps proper, shelled peas when they got too big, and lots of yellowing pods to save seed for next year.

The plants are looking well and truly knackered now, although they aren't showing any signs of mildew.

That sounds about right Jay....they don't carry on over a long period like Runner beans. That's why I freeze the excess, before they get too big  :)
Same with the Alderman peas I found, a bit longer cropping than the small growing ones, but they still only lasted a few weeks. Maybe people expect too much from them.

DD did post a yield quantity/per plant figure some time ago but I can't find it now :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:22 »
My White Lady have just started to produce and by the looks of them are going to be difficult to stop now. When did you sow/plant them?

Likewise with the Alderman. When did they go in? I'm getting a few, but they were sown later than I would normally sow peas. I only did them as a friend of mine gave me some galvanised grills that make splendid climbing frames.

I sowed the Alderman in batches, spread from 4th April to mid May. These were sown direct.  The White Lady I sowed in pots, 10th April and 23rd April, and planted out both 2 or 3 weeks later. Both seemed to do very well in terms of growth, shot straight up the poles and looked very healthy. I was kind of hoping to have enough peas to freeze a few, but really all we've had is one meal a week spread over a 3 or 4 week period.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:11 »
found the pea yield post I was looking for

Pea yield - when I've do it for the Hertitage Seed Library and monitored it, the return was between 40-60 peas per plant, depending on variety. This is about -7 pods per plant. 

Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:51 AM by DD.

Peas do not give an enormous yield like runner beans. So on a small plot you may want to think twice about growing them :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 13:04 »
That was treating each pea separately & getting 100% germination.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 15:55 »
But does that 7 pods/plant still apply to Alderman, given that it's 6 to 7 feet high?

But even if it does, doesn't sound like the crop I got was anywhere near that much. For me, one meal is 40 to 50 pods, so the four meals I've got is about 200 pods. I planted at least 200 seed and it looked like most of them came up. Even if only half of them came up, that would still be 700 pods. So clearly I didn't get a good crop for the amount of seed/plants.

What's the most likely cause of this, do you think? As I said, I'd have thought I did get a pretty good rate of germination from the seeds, and they all shot up the poles and seemed to grow on very well.

xx
Peas and Mildew? and the Pumpkin too..

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 12:08
by MichelleC
xx
Mildew on peas, courgettes and pumkins. Help

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 19:51
by LivvyW
xx
Mildew, mildew, mildew

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 11:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mildew

Started by cissie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 13:55
by cissie

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 35 queries.