Who sprays against blight ?

• 19 Replies

garddwr

« on: January 11, 2009, 17:35 »
Does anyone spray ? I want a lot of potatoes to store and I don't want the disapointment of lifting blighted spuds but if I spray will it change the taste of the potatoes ?

Flatpack

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 18:13 »
Also (and sorry to hijack your thread) do bligh tresistant varieties truly mean that or are they just better at resisting blight?

I've been told that blight is pretty much the only thing you can't avoid spraying for on our allotment, but was wondering if there is any way around it.

Ideally I would like to avoid spraying but if needs must then I will

By the way hi, my first post, been lurking around for a month though

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 18:26 »
I've never sprayed mine.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 18:28 »
I'll be spraying.

My heritage main crop salad blue spuds got blighted in May, which is far earlier than I've ever come across personally and earlier than any of my neighbours (by a couple of months) this year. I wonder if I had contaminated seed, but I'm not going to take the risk again. I've heard rumours that Bordeaux mixture has been withdrawn so this year I'll give Dithane 945/mancozeb a go.

The sarpo varieties are very resistant to blight IMHO, but I find that they disintegrate very quickly if they are slightly over boiled so I can't say that I'm a fan of them.

SS

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 18:48 »
There is no such thing yet as a potato that does not take blight.
Some potatoes are more resistant than others to the disease.
earlies have low resistance and maincrops have higher resistance but you are best to spray weekly with Dithane 945 to prevent it as there is no cure.
You should try to spray all round the plant and onto the soil as the blight bacteria can sit on the soil and be washed down onto the tubers when it rains.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 18:53 »
If you sign up for blight watch  http://blight.potato.org.uk/  they will send you an e-mail when there is a risk of blight in your area.  

Saves a lot of money and time on unnecessary spraying :D

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 20:08 »
i dont bother, defeats the object of growing ur own ie. its cheaper and u want to eat veg that is chemical free ( apart from slug pellets  :wink: ).if my spuds get blight i chop all the foliage off and leave them in the ground to eat when im ready for them.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:12 »
I don't have any probs with blight... the slugs kill them before the blight does :D

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:59 »
Whether or not you spray there are a few simple things you can do to avoid or reduce infection with blight.

As with all pests and diseases it pays to know your enemy.

Potato blight is a fungus that is spread by spores. It first appears as small dark brown irregular spots on the leaves which get bigger. Turn over the leaf and you will usually see a grey mould which is the spores. (put potato blight into google images) These spores float in the air and if they land on a leaf cause further infection. This may be inches away on the same plant or at a considerable distance.

Two things to remember which help to combat the disease. First, it can only live on live material. Second, it needs warm weather and high humidity to develop. ( Farmers are warned when there is a "Smith Period". That is two consecutative days when the temperature stays above 10 degrees C and on each days there are 11 hours when the relative humidity is above 90%.) When a Smith Period has occurred it is likely that blight will develop within 15 to 20 days. Even when the weather seems OK it may still be humid down in the furrows, especially if watering has been generous.

Infection starts on the leaves but then spreads to the stems and down to the tubers. Spores on the ground can also be washed down to infect the tubers.

Do not put potatoes on your compost heap because they may be a source of infection, especially if they are blighted. Look at your neighbours plots and see if there are potatoes growing out of their heaps. If there are either quietly pull them out or ask them to do so. Seal them in a plastic bag so that they rot and die.

Look for left over potatoes growing among your other crops. These are not a bonus crop but a source of blight. Root out and destroy.

Look at your neighbours potato crop. If there is blight tell them. Expect blight in your crop soon. This is the time to start spraying if you want to so do.

Now that we have been told not to spray copper in bordeau mixture the only real option is dithane. This does not kill blight but protects the leaf. Although it sticks on the leaf well it does not protect any new growth. Spray weekly when growth is rapid and stretch this to fortnightly in dry weather.

Whether you spray or not eventually blight will begin to get a hold. Cut off the tops at ground level and destroy them. Either burn, seal in plastic bags or transport to the Council green collection. There will still be spores on the soil which can infect the tubers. They will not survive for long once the tops are gone and general advice is to leave for 3 weks before lifting.

kezlou

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 13:34 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
I don't have any probs with blight... the slugs kill them before the blight does :D

same here :lol:

I don't spray i just discrad of any leaves if they look like they have bight
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

matron

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 16:53 »
We've never sprayed and I don't know if we have had blight or not.  :?
Our plot is on its own and not on an allotment site so we don't have the danger from nearby crops.

garddwr

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 17:49 »
mine is on its own as well,same as Matron. I live in the countryside  :D

matron

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 18:08 »
Yep, middle of nowhere - it has its advantages sometimes.  :lol:

garddwr

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 18:37 »
I'm so lucky to live here matron and I'm sure you are very happy living where you are ?

matron

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 18:58 »
Absolutely love it. Just need to remember the bread and milk as it is a 10 mile trip into the nearest town  :shock: . There is a little village shop in a village 3 miles away. Can't beat just stepping out of the front door and being in fields. A walk round the block is a 4 mile walk along lanes bordering fields and the dogs can run free without a lead. We can go to bed having forgotten to take the car keys out of the car and can go for that walk round the block without locking the door.
OK, sorry to have bored you townies. I think I would have real difficulty living with a neighbour now. My neighbours are at least 100 yards away and we not only know our neighbours but everyone in the village (very small village, hamlet really).  :lol:

xx
sprays to use

Started by wales1000 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 22:53
by Yorkie
xx
garlic sprays

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2019, 21:56
by rowlandwells
xx
Organic Sprays

Started by Palestel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 21:55
by richyrich7
xx
what to do if your neighbour sprays chemicals?

Started by rhian13 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 07:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 33 queries.