Growing broad beans

• 5 Replies

NWalls

Growing broad beans
« on: May 28, 2020, 08:55 »
I am new to the group and the forum, so please forgive me if I have located this incorrectly.
I am looking for advice on a new problem I am having growing broad beans.
I have been successfully growing them for many years without incident.
I am in Australia, of course seasons reversed to you up there in UK, and I often plant a small number of broad beans in late autumn/early winter to get a head start in spring. I am on the coast, cool climate, but no frost.
Problem is a curly leaf syndrome affecting new growth the worst, but seems to be quite serious. Looking on line there seem to be two likely contenders, a virus and a new pesticide likely imported via manure from treated pastures. Any thoughts most welcome, cheers, Neil.
Broad bean, back of leaf.jpg
Broad bean, leaf condition.jpg
Broad beans general.jpg
Broad beans, worst.jpg

Goosegirl

Re: Growing broad beans
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 12:03 »
Hi NW
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:06 »
Hi NWalls. I wish I could help you with your problem. A virus infection usually shows on their leaves which have irregular blotches of green and yellow. Methinks it could be due to a pesticide but see what others say.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 13:34 »
Working on the assumption that you have applied manure to your soil, if you Google images of 'aminopyralid damage to broad beans' I think you might find several pictures unfortunately very similar to yours.

Not been able to find out for sure whether it has been banned for use in Australia, but I suspect it hasn't, (and there are other herbicides with similar properties too.)

The only good news I can offer is that the residues are broken down by soil micro-organisms, so the soil doesn't stay contaminated for ever.

Although beans are only one of the many susceptible crops affected by it, tomatoes are usually used to test for contamination, probably because they are quick to germinate and grow - a possible way forward for you next year I hope.

There is a viral disease called 'curly top', but the pictures I've found don't seem to be a close match with yours to my eyes.

Are any other crops affected?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 20:57 »
Can't add to what JayG has written, but welcome to the site and you are indeed in the right place!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

NWalls

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 01:41 »
Thanks all of you for replying so quickly to my post.
Much appreciated and unfortunately for me, I suspect JayG's suspicions are probably the most likely cause.
I did get horse manure from a local horse riding school this year (in our southern hemisphere autumn) and this is the first time from that location. So this increases my suspicion that JayG may be correct. But it is also the first time I have planted them pre-winter, so frost is a possibility I guess.
I am going to mix a 50:50 soil using the manure and compost and try a couple of broad beans inside in a sunny spot, away from pests, possible other soil contamination and frost. We are coming into winter here (starts tomorrow), though we have not had temperatures below about 8 deg. C so far. no visible frost to date though. Some clear nights, so I imagine sky radiation at night may have been possible.
Anyway, thanks again for supporting the newby. I will keep you informed of the results from my experiment.
Cheers, Neil.

xx
Broad Beans Growing

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 21:14
by bisgedyn
xx
Growing broad beans in modules and overwintering

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 17:10
by dugless
xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 39 queries.