poorly sweetcorn

• 19 Replies

andy dewar

poorly sweetcorn
« on: May 20, 2015, 22:02 »
Hi i planted my sweetcorn out 2weeks ago and its looking rather sad   :( it was lovely and green when planted out but is now yellowy looking , should i give it a feed any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

snowdrops

Re: poorly sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 22:11 »
Can you protect it from the cold & wind? Stick some canes in & wrap around them with plastic or bubble wrap,
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 22:13 »
I am growing it for the first time this year, thought you plant it out when its warm, so in a few weeks time, its too could at night right now I think?
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 22:15 »
Yep too cold in my opinion, I only sowed mine last Thursday. Someone on our plots planted plants that they had bought at least 3 weeks ago, but they don't look very good now

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 22:16 »
I agree with Snowdrops.  The weather has been too cold recently for sweetcorn; I'm only just hardening mine off ready for planting out.

If, like Snowy says, you can protect it from the wind it may pick up again.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 22:54 »
Put mine out this week covered by cloches. They were 6 inches tall and escaping from the root  trainers.
Add whatever protection you have available or can improvise. There are more sweetcorn on our plot but all are protected from the current cold weather. Good luck to all of us!

Cheers HH

Keep digging

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:06 »
It's amazing the difference in size and vigour, I had plastic bottles over a few of mine when I grew them and can vouch for the benefits of wrapping them up!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:33 »
Mine are still nice and cosy in the greenhouse.

At this latitude I wait until June before I even consider hardening them off.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:17 »
Cold is the problem. Sweetcorn do not like temperatures less than 10 C. Our nights have been down to 5 and less and days have struggled into the teens. The wind does not help. This next week looks better. They will have a sulk but should pick up. Shelter if you can and give some liquid feed.

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 08:48 »
One of my near plot neighbours has had his sweetcorn out since the end of April! They've survived longer than I expected. The few covered with bottle cloches look decidedly 'unwell' whilst the uncovered ones look pretty dead. It isn't that surprising as the highest overnight temperature in my greenhouse at home has only been 5°C over the last week or so, with a couple of nights dropping below 0°C.

ghost61

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06 »
I just wish mine would germinate!  When they have they've rotted off at the bottom, and I only mist them rather than water them.  Really bad luck with them this year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:43 »
In previous years when I've planted mine out around the end of May, their leaves have tended to go yellow but recover after a bit of liquid feed. What I do now is give all my plants a boost with liquid feed a week or two before planting out and it really seems to help, or sometimes I do it on planting as well as adding BFB. Sweetcorn are very hungry plants and it takes time for the BFB to get going.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Robster

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 12:43 »
I think I'd feed and nurse them along but I'd sow some more today.  They germinate so quickly and grow on to make up any gaps or get rid of the sickly plants that'll always struggle.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 13:03 »
Temperature, temperature temperature. Remember those 3 things when growing sweetcorn. It REALLY does not like cold weather. Even if you have to put out sweetcorn a lot later than you would like they will catch up fast as they grow super quick. Once they get their growth checked by cold temperatures they can sulk for AGES!!!

As others have suggested I would protect whatever plants you have on your plot but sow some more. Even if they have to go onto the plot at the end of June they will catch up.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 13:32 »
Just checked mine on the plot this morning look happy in cloches at present (17 deg C ) but taking no chances I have erected a small wind break to help them keep warm as possible.

HH

xx
Poorly sweetcorn!

Started by Jo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 21:50
by Wombat
xx
Poorly PSB

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 14:48
by Snow
xx
Poorly Veg!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 16:08
by paul meese
xx
Poorly seedlings

Started by matron on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 12:37
by DD.

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 32 queries.