Already got mildew on my courgettes

• 19 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Already got mildew on my courgettes
« on: June 30, 2013, 16:46 »
I think it's the first time it's ever happened quite this early in the year, but I guess it's related to the weird weather conditions. I'm never really sure how much effect it has on the crop, but it certainly does make the plants look a bit sad.

Mrs Bee

Re: Already got mildew on my courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 21:57 »
I think I read somewhere that it helps if you spray the leaves with a weak, watered down  milk solution.

Have noticed some of ours have the start of the mildew, so may give it a try.

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:28 »
Yes, the diluted milk may help, as will lifting the leaves and making sure that they are getting a good watering underneath, I have read this somewhere recently in one of my gardening books, if I can find it again I will add more. I know it seems contrary to what you would think, but because they have big leaves the soil below is sheltered and they can be very dry. I wished I could remember the logic to explain how this relates to mildew. All I remember is thinking that I must water when mine start to get mildew! :nowink:

seaside

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:11 »
The watering thing is probably a good idea. I had forgotten how dry they can be under those leaves.

A watered down baking powder spray with possibly a bit of soap to make it stick, is also recommended by many folk.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:55 »
I tried diluted milk several years ago and it made no difference at all. I dont understand about the dry leaves but would love to know the reasoning.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 14:39 »
One easy thing that helps is to remove all the lower leaves. This allows more air flow, more water to reach the plant, and frees up plant energy so it will make more fruit. It also makes it easier to see the fruit before they turn into canoes.

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 17:49 »
I have found the source of what I read, but not much explanation, unless it is simply because dryness at the base will stress the plant making it more susceptible to mildew.
This is what Bob Flowerdew has to say in his Organic Bible:

'Mildews are broadly two types: powdery and downy. The powdery forms do less damage in general than the downy, grey matted mildews. They both attack plants under stress 'eating' them from the outside. The commonest causes are plants being too dry at the roots and stagnant air ......... . Having many alliums growing nearby may offer some protection, but this needs time to work. Removing diseased material will reduce the spread. Equisetum tea, seaweed, garlic and nettle sprays are all claimed to make the plants tougher and more resistant, as may mustard-seed flour.'

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 19:02 »
I tried diluted milk several years ago and it made no difference at all. I dont understand about the dry leaves but would love to know the reasoning.

Well I will save the milk for my coffee then and not bother.

Will try out the other ideas tho'.

salmonking

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 19:30 »
it came on mine 2 weeks ago but its gone now.bit strange!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 14:46 »
I always get mildew and am trying a wee experiment this year. I had some of those growbag plant halos doing nothing in the garage. I have put them on top of my individual pots and planted the courgette plants in them. I am hoping that this means I can easily keep the roots well watered without splashing the leaves. There also should be heap loads more air circulation.

Lets see what happens

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 18:24 »
Grubbypaws, please let us know. I would be very interested in your results. I always get mildew on mine, so was going to try keeping the roots well watered this year, they are too small yet to worry! :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 22:21 »
Well, waddya know, ever since you said this I've been lifting the leaves and making sure the affected plants are well watered beneath the leaves, and all the new leaves are coming through green and healthy with no sign of mildew. I've never heard that one before but I'll deffo remember it. I'll give them a spray of seaweed tonic this weekend too, to help them pick up a bit quicker.

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:49 »
Well, that is really good to hear. I shall be lifting the leaves too when they eventually get big enough! :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 07:13 »
Am I being too kind to my courgettes? I have incredibly healthy looking plants but not a flower in sight. Are they so unstressed as to be too laid back to reproduce??

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 07:27 »
Are you feeding them - I usually give mine a general tomato feed once or twice a week and although the leaves are not overly big yet I am getting more than enough courgettes to keep us going.

xx
Powdery mildew on courgettes

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 14:14
by aelf
xx
Mildew on peas, courgettes and pumkins. Help

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 19:51
by LivvyW
clip
Is mildew on my courgettes stopping them crop

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2014, 19:26
by mumofstig
xx
Mildew, mildew, mildew

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 11:19
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 33 queries.