Grapevines up North

• 13 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Grapevines up North
« on: September 06, 2014, 17:56 »
I want to try grapes in my polytunnel next year. I've never tried them before. Can anyone recommend a suitable dessert (black or white) variety for these Northern latitudes, please?

snowdrops

Re: Grapevines up North
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 20:34 »
Black hamburg should fit the bill
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

davetoddy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:22 »
Hi Alan , I grew Black Hamburg and Madelaine Angevine in a Green house in Whitehaven (not that far away) It was a while ago now and had grapes from both . Planted the root outside and led stem into greenhouse , they are a strong vine so am not sure about polytunnel though . I have just got a polytunnel and grapes are on my list of potential crops so would be interested how you get on

ambodach

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:10 »
I'll give a thumbs up to Black Hamburg too.  I'm just west of Edinburgh and have had one in my 6 x8ft leantoo G/H for ~20years.  This year I had 20 bunches on it so if you give it the space of  P/T, you'll get a lot of fruit.

I've got several cuttings from last year's pruning in leaf and root if you want to take a chance on the postal service - I could look for a tube and with plenty of damp kitchen roll round the root, it should travel OK.  Somewhere I also have reasonably extensive growing instructions.

I think I would look to having a wooden frame of some sort for it.   I would also think about water source and possibly plant it near the wall so that the root can go outside - that and the wooden frame position may not be compatible, but I will leave you to think about that.  There may well be others who have vine / PT experience.

Rob

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 15:50 »
That'd be fantastic Ambodach, thanks. Will send you a personal message

Alan

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 16:01 »
Well I tried to send you a personal message but the "system" wouldn't allow me to. Are you able to contact me by PM with an email address please?

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 17:16 »
I think you have to have 10 posts to pm, or he might be able to contact Aunty to arrange it :)

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 21:22 »
i'd be interested in a black hamburg vine if there were any to spare, tia.
Best Regards,

spud

ambodach

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 09:51 »
OK guys, it looks as if being a newbie, I'm falling fowl (deliberate spelling error !) of probably sensible rules.  Let's take a chance on giving the email with gaps for you to fill in.

(Edited by Aunty)

And yes I do have a second one - by the way the best way I've found is to stick a 200mm length of pruning into a wine bottle full of water, and just keep that in a the house.

Rob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44 »
Hi Rob

I've removed your attempt at a coded e-mail address  :lol:

BUT I have made it so that you can send and receive PMs (even though you have less than 10 posts).

Hope that helps you :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 13:18 »
Hi Rob, I've sent you a PM with my contact details

Alan

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 15:31 »
I've sent a PM with my details, tia

ambodach

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 22:05 »
Hi Rob

I've removed your attempt at a coded e-mail address  :lol:

BUT I have made it so that you can send and receive PMs (even though you have less than 10 posts).

Hope that helps you :)

Thanks Aunt Sally - PM's received.   Nice to be able to jump into a Forum, find you have something that you can pass on, and a moderator who is on the ball. 

I'm about to build a P/T and was looking for a forum to give me some help - I haven't checked on that help yet but this looks like a forum worth staying with.

Rob

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 17:07 »
Hi Ambodach,

I'm in West Yorkshire and make wine. If you have any root cuttings left, may I please have one of each and I'd love to send you some of my blackberry wine!

I'm a newbie and so don't have pm just yet, but I'm sure Admin might be kind enough to arrange something if you are agreeable.

Also, should your crop fail in the future, I will post you root cuttings without delay so providing a little insurance for you.

Many thanks.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.