Wild Pheasant nest

• 5 Replies

karenjayne

Wild Pheasant nest
« on: April 05, 2011, 13:43 »
yesterday found some eggs in garden, by the wall of our house.  we do live in the country.  there were 5, but no sign of who laid them.  today i discovered a pheasant laying another egg there, but now she gone and left them again. is she likely to keep laying ,then sit on them, or does she not know what to do?  was planning over easter to replace wood and paint it, where this nest is!

8doubles

Re: Wild Pheasant nest
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 13:49 »
The pheasant could lay a dozen eggs before she starts to incubate, i would leave the fence alone until she has hatched and moved the clutch.
A good excuse not to paint the fence. :)

karenjayne

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 14:02 »
why do the best laid plans go wrong.  my husband will not be amused!  but would be nice  for  get baby pheasants.  my teenage son will also not be amused as they will be under his window and he hates the noise ,the peasants make in the early mornings.

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17 »
Or find a local gamekeeper/ pheasant rearer and let him have them.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:28 »
I'm so glad to see you posting this question.  We have a male pheasant and his missus that visit our garden and hens several times a day.  Last night, my husband says he could hear the male calling in our hedgerow.  We think they are nesting there.  I sure hope to see some chicks being brought into our garden eventually.  Though there are no openings for them to get through and they would have to fly over our three foot fence!  Good luck with those eggs! :)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

karenjayne

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 17:22 »
have no idea why she lays by the side of the house when we have 100 ft garden and woods at bottom.  however, have decided to leave well alone and hopefully when she comes to sit on them, will hatch a few babies!  the female only comes in the morning to lay and then disappears for rest of day. will keep you posted if any news on them.

xx
Wild Chicken herd!

Started by Abacus on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 08:45
by Dominic
xx
nest box

Started by greenjay on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 09:43
by New shoot
xx
Too hot for nest box

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 21:13
by themagicaltoad1
xx
A cuckoo in the Nest or is it two

Started by Colernehens on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 21:38
by Colernehens

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.