Getting seeds going in the greenhouse

• 2 Replies

Ferris

Getting seeds going in the greenhouse
« on: February 18, 2009, 22:53 »
I have just started sowing my first trays of seeds for the year ahead - tomatoes, leeks, peppers, etc. In the past I have always germinated these indoors but due to the quantity I am wanting to germinate this year there isnt enough space indoors so things are now going into the greenhouse.

Do I need a heater running for a couple of weeks while things germinate? The day temperature this week has been up around 17/18 degrees but night temperature quite low - will this stop germination?

If I do need a heater then it will be a trip to the shops at the weekend - any suggestions for good deals around at the moment gratefully received

Gwiz

Re: Getting seeds going in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:56 »
I don't use any heat in my greenhouse at all, but then I don't germinate tomates at home. There's an "old boy" down the road that always has a few to sell.......
It's an expensive past-time heating greenhouses, whatever type of heater you use.

randombod

Re: Getting seeds going in the greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:47 »
i use electric propagators in mine and only have the heating on its frost setting. my greenhouse is in a sunny spot mind and at the min is reaching 20 degrees...... If it gets too bad i have some old parafin heaters and a boat load of fuel i was given so i just use that .  but remember to use a breaker if your using the electric my mate almost blew himself up with a heater stupid boy!

thumbdown
greenhouse

Started by EVIE on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 19:14
by adal
xx
Does this greenhouse look ok?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 01:36
by peter james
xx
What Greenhouse

Started by Shadrak on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 16:38
by Shadrak
xx
Greenhouse

Started by JamesD on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 23:16
by hindy

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 29 queries.