Parsnip Wine

• 24 Replies

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« on: January 09, 2008, 20:10 »
One of my very early memories of childhood is sitting on my grandad's kitchen counter stirring a big plastic bucket of parsnip wine "stuff" with a wooden spoon. I *think* i remember sucking the spoon but I may be wrong!

i used to get given a little glass of it with sunday dinner (in one of those tiny liqeur glasses). I remember it being the sweetest most gorgeous wine ever. I keep meaning to make it one day but I haven't tried any sort of brewing yet.

Does anyone on here make parsnip wine and how has it turned out?

Jaye

Sally A

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 22:08 »
I tried carrot wine years ago, it was fermented using demerara sugar which gave it a sherry taste with a kick, and it really warmed your cockles.

It was from an old M&S wine making book I borrowed off the milkman.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:46 »
hmmmm if i recall correcytly I have an M and S wine making book belonging to my grandfather soemwhere....

it might be in some boxes that are gradually coming back from second storage - first proper removers storage, second my mum and dad's garage!

Jaye

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:51 »
I have heard that pasnip wine is very good, but not made it as parsnips are not the cheapest veg and I don't get enough grown to make wine out of, but being on a limited budget, I usually make carrot wine out of the big bags of carrots they sell cheap for horses, or rice wine which is my favourite as its quite strong, and orange juice wine!

Sally A

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 22:16 »
Here's a link Jaye. Good Luck.

http://www.yobrew.co.uk/parsnip.php

mushroom

Re: Parsnip Wine
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:32 »
Quote from: "Jaye"
One of my very early memories of childhood is sitting on my grandad's kitchen counter stirring a big plastic bucket of parsnip wine "stuff" with a wooden spoon. I *think* i remember sucking the spoon but I may be wrong!

i used to get given a little glass of it with sunday dinner (in one of those tiny liqeur glasses). I remember it being the sweetest most gorgeous wine ever. I keep meaning to make it one day but I haven't tried any sort of brewing yet.

Does anyone on here make parsnip wine and how has it turned out?

Jaye

I used to make it years ago. Might make it this year. I tried to make it on the dry side, it turned out well and was very alcoholic. I 'racked' mine 3 or 4 times before finally bottling it. There's a lot of sugar in parsnips! You rack it to allow every last bit of sugar to ferment out, and every last bit of sediment to drop. The liquid has a wonderful light gold colour, at least mine did.. I think there are quite a few unfermentable sugars in parsnip though. Parsnip wine has a wonderful aroma. Good luck! ;)

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:07 »
a relative of mine makes parsnip wine,using there homegrown parsnips, its lovely but its very strong

i mite give it a go once i grow enough parsnips

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:45 »
Thanls for the link sally - and the vote of confidence! I might give it a go!

Jaye

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 12:14 »
Parsnip wine Oh yummy

Best bet is to use old parsnips late in the season and frosted more sugar in them

Good luck it's well worth the effort
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 14:33 »
my desire to make it definately fuelled by my love of it as a child. And since we drank the last bottle after he died I have never had any since :(

My FIL used to make wine, dunno about parsnip though. Now he makes sloe and damson gin.

Jaye

dorset

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 15:06 »
ive made parsnip wine and it was the best wine ive ever made, i got the recipe from "a cook on the wild side" by hugh fearnley whittenstall, i liked it so much that ive got 4 more gallons on the go now :D , i drunk the 1st gallon in a week of it being finished  :lol:

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 20:16 »
ooohseriously jealous dorset!

I am growing parsnips this year though so it seems a good use for them!

Jaye

*I have just bouht some books out of storage - including an M and S wine book that my grandfather used to use. I wonder if it is the same one?

Jaye

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 19:08 »
Quote from: "flatcap"
a relative of mine makes parsnip wine,using there homegrown parsnips, its lovely but its very strong

i mite give it a go once i grow enough parsnips

It was the parsnip wine that finished me off at our random 'first bbq of the year/streetparty/homebrew tasting evening' on saturday!

Was recommended to go to a country supply store to buy sack of carrots that are meant for horse feed to make carrot wine - i like the idea of fermenting it with demerara sugar - if anyone has recipe for that i would love to try it

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 19:09 »
Quote from: "dorset"
ive made parsnip wine and it was the best wine ive ever made, i got the recipe from "a cook on the wild side" by hugh fearnley whittenstall, i liked it so much that ive got 4 more gallons on the go now :D , i drunk the 1st gallon in a week of it being finished  :lol:

Could you post that recipe? Is that allowed??

Ruby Red

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 14:13 »
My dad used to make lots of different wine with produce that was left over from his garden. One of the nicest was parsnip and he also made cherry. As there wasnt much of it we saved it for Christmas one year and that was yummy with a gorgeous colour. One of the surprises though was when he and mum were blanching broad beans prior to freezing and he decided to make some wine from the blanching water. That was a hit as well. Just shows you , never waste anything. :D
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

xx
A Parsnip Wine to Keep?

Started by dalemellor on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 18:57
by dalemellor
xx
Parsnip wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2015, 11:03
by Aunt Sally
question
Parsnip Wine?

Started by VegGirl7 on Homebrew

22 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 23:49
by VegGirl7
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.