what a b disaster this years been

• 9 Replies

ilan

• Experienced Member
what a b disaster this years been
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:47 »
Found blight on the toms in the poly tunnel a few days ago and have been cutting off the affected leaves ever since now the un ripe toms are starting to go as well  :( pots out side are rotting faster than we can eat them  the sweetcorn is just a ft high and its raining >:(
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: what a b disaster this years been
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 14:04 »
Oh dear  :(  All you can do is keep cutting out any blighted leaves and removing fruit that looks like it is going.  A spray of Bayer Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control, which is a copper based fungicide, will help slow it down.

My potatoes are all up but I only grow earlies.  Is it worth lifting what you have left or are they too far gone?  My sweetcorn is also smaller than it should be but is flowering - we shall see  ::)

Gutting after all the hard work.  I hope you get a break soon  :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 14:16 »
Sorry  :(

Not good when all your hard work is ruined....  :mad:

We are rethinking what to grow and looking forward to a second chance over the winter and into next year.

We've got off pretty lightly so far - only minimal blight and as we grow in high raised baskets not too bad with other stuff, though it's all late.

Take heart, there's always next year   ;)

And at least we're not in Syria!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 18:51 »
My toms are really discoloured and feeling quite hard. I think I'm pretty sure I've got blight in my greenhouse :(
Never had such a problem before.
It's really gutting when you work so hard in the garden, lottie and greenhouse.

mceuskadi

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:51 »
yep, checked my polytunnel on Saturday: everything alright, 16 good looking, healthy tomato plants. Checked it again yesterday: 16 blight infected tomato plants, sprayed immediately the Bayer stuff and removed the brownish leaves (~1/2 of the plants) but I think there is no hope :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35 »
I thought we were having problems down here but sounds as if things are worse for many others.

It is more than disappointing when effort put in results in very little out.

So far the tomatoes and cucumbers in my three little greenhouses continue to look healthy - lots of dark green growth and a few green tomatoes.

All the potatoes tops were cut off weeks ago and I'm lifting the spuds as we need them.

Weeding, clearing and digging to start again next year is about all I have planned... that and a few prayers for everyone.  :mellow:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 22:20 »
sorry must not complain too much ::) ::) replaced the toms with some french beans growing in pots put some psb in as well still have a few toms in a seperate greenhouse which are giving a few fruits I still have the main crop pots to dig as I have just cut the tops off and left in the ground . Think I planted / not earthed the earlies up enough so they did not have any protection from the blight hopfully the mains will be deeper . r/Beans in the tunnel are producing at least a few . ;) ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:34 »
Everyone has had at least one 'what's the point' moment this year  ;)   :)  Dusting yourself off and replanting is the only thing to do.  Glad you have some successes  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44 »
I am so looking forward to clearing the plot this year and seeing the back of the oh so successful weeds that have continuously crept up on me. Normally I have time to keep them well under control but, what with so many wet days earlier and now, lack of time it has been a difficult and frustrating year.

Prizes for the greenest, lushest allotment paths might be mine but I'm not encouraging my dad to visit his old plot until it looks a great deal better than it presently does.  :(

Oh well the beetroot seem to be loving it and the beans are coming along. The strawberries were brilliant (thanks to DD) and we've had quite a few raspberries and blackberries. Things could be worse....I think.  :lol:

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 17:06 »
Our runners are only just starting and the muntyframe is finally coming into it's own.  But the French beans are great and I sometimes have to pick twice a day!  So not all bad, then!  ;)

Guess we've been lucky... :)

xx
Bubble wrap disaster!

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 20:24
by seaside
xx
dreaming in 6 years green house

Started by Madame Cholet on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2014, 11:42
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 37 queries.