Small egg with no yolk

• 5 Replies

paulaben

Small egg with no yolk
« on: August 13, 2011, 14:49 »
Hi I have a sussex chicken(I think thats what she is) that for the past three days has been laying small eggs with no yolk in. I haven't had any problems with her before and she has laid every day since February. She is about 1 year old now. She is being feed layers pellets and eats them with no problems. In herself she is fine. I have a problem with red mites and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Any advice would be appreciated. :(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 14:50 by DD. »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Small egg with no yolk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 15:29 »
it may have been part of the problem but what she is laying sounds like wind eggs - also known as witches eggs and fart eggs. These can occur at any time and are often when they just start laying or when they come back into lay after a moult or being broody  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 19:07 »
Hi I have a sussex chicken(I think thats what she is) that for the past three days has been laying small eggs with no yolk in. I haven't had any problems with her before and she has laid every day since February. She is about 1 year old now. She is being feed layers pellets and eats them with no problems. In herself she is fine. I have a problem with red mites and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Any advice would be appreciated. :(

I just want to welcome you to the forum. I hope that you will find us a helpful, happy bunch, and between the real experts we have amongst our owners, you will always get answers to any problems you may have.

By the way, the powers that be on here (and the rest of us) just LOVE to see piccies of your girls, so if you can post any, please do.

Once again, WELCOME!

Mary.

paulaben

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 16:09 »
Hi
Thank you for your advice, she hasn't laid today but fingers crossed she will soon be back to normal. I applied the slurry for red mite yesterday and I think they ( well most of them) have gone running, so it does work.
Thank you again.

paulaben

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 14:35 »
Hi
Cleaned the coop this morning and the slurry does work, about a 1/4 red mites now than before but chicken still not laying full sized eggs. She is laying very small yolkless ones.Will this continue or willl she go back to laying 'normal' eggs? She is fine in herself. The other two chickens have been fine and are laying everyday. Thank you in advance for any advice given. :)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 16:32 »
I too found an egg like that a couple of weeks ago.  I have been keeping chickens for nearly 3 years now and this is the first time it has I have found one like this and would also be interested to know why this happened. 

xx
help no egg just yolk

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 19:58
by muntjac
clip
Red yolk

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2017, 18:20
by New shoot
xx
Egg yolk

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 18:02
by Sadgit
xx
blood red yolk

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 21:52
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 36 queries.