Suckling kitten

• 3 Replies

maxyboo

Suckling kitten
« on: July 14, 2012, 14:50 »
I have a 4 month old kitten who keeps suckling my 2 year old male cat. We have had her for about 6 weeks now and hoped she would grow out of it but she hasn't. I have read this is not uncommon and is a comfort thing and the kitten will stop doing it. Unfortunately my boy seems to enjoy it! I tried sudocream on his nipples but he licked it off straightaway and I am wary of putting anything on that will certainly be ingested by the cats. It is worse at night and I wake up several times to her suckling and have to separate them. If I shut her out of the bedroom she cries and I feel bad.
 His nipples do become red and swollen although he does not seem to mind I really want to stop this behaviour. She does not even seem bothered by water so a quick blast with my water pistol doesn't stop her. Any ideas?

Oliveview

Re: Suckling kitten
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 17:17 »
We had a similar problem, with our cats years ago, eventually the kitten   (Tosh) gave up sucking and Mac (the male cat) was given peace!  He used to get quite confused as to what was happening  :lol:  Have you tried tea tree cream, it has a more pungent smell.  There is an animal version (Denes)
I had forgotten our other cats did that- it was 36 years ago though - where does the time go?  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Pamela

ps Our cats were called  Mac´n´Tosh
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:59 by oliveview »

maxyboo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 19:08 »
That is not a bad idea, thanks Pamela, I will see what the shops have tomorrow. I worry about using anything that might make them ill but a treatment especially for animals should be pretty harmless I suppose. Most people think it's quite sweet and funny and maybe it was the first time but it gets less amusing when you are waking up every hour to prise her off.

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 13:00 »
Our Mili will sit on our lap and lick our clothing- it gets very annoying and very wet :lol:

Pemala

xx
Feisty Kitten Milly and bigger kitten Miki (photos with luck)

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 22:46
by freebirdy
xx
Advice re new kitten

Started by chuckmad on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 12:24
by chuckmad
xx
Burmese kitten

Started by Angus on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 23:35
by raeburg
xx
kitten advice

Started by massa on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 18:11
by Snap Dragon

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.