butternut squash

• 8 Replies

dottydigger

butternut squash
« on: April 24, 2010, 19:08 »
Hi  I am new to this site.....and  warn you all that I need a LOT of help with my gardening needs.  to begin with I have soaked the squash seeds as advised and the ones that sunk, I threw and those that floated......I am trying to grow...do they take a while to germinate are am I doing something wrong???  Also my shallots  the sets seem as big and the shallots I want to grow do they send out baby shallots when you plant them or do my 'big enough already' ones just get bigger..........told you I'm pretty useless at this didn't I???? :wub:Dottydiggerx
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 19:19 by Ice »

DavidT

Re: butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 19:45 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. Never heard of floating squash seed to see if they are viable. You need to tell us more about how you`ve sown them, like, how deep, did you plant the seed on it`s side and how long ago did you sow them? With the shallots, what you planted will divide into  a cluster of shallots. Strange as it sounds, if you want largish shallots then plant a small set. If you want small shallots plants a large set. :D

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 20:48 »
Hi Dottydigger and welcome to the forum.

I read about the soaking seeds thing for Cosmos, but it was the other way round ie keep the ones that sink.

As well as how long ago you sowed the seeds, are they in a propagator, window sill or outside?

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 21:31 »
Unless they are saved seeds you should get good germination and there shouldn't be a lot that float (no seed inside the case).

I sow squash inside and they are up within a week - I don't soak them first.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 21:39 »
I've never soaked squash seed either.........but would think that you have to sow the ones that sink :unsure: not the ones that float  ???

They are usually up in about a week, if you plant the right ones ;)

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 21:47 »
When i am saving squash seed i keep the sinking and bin the floating stuff. I never soak the seed before sowing and germination is always good.

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 21:49 »
I saved some seed from a squash in the winter and dried them. Planted 6 2 weeks ago in 4" pots, seed compost and on their sides - they are in my unheated greenhouse and so far 3 have germinated
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

boosh

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:24 »
Hi there, i planted my butternut about 5 weeks ago i had one plant come up after about 2 weeks no6 plant came up the at the start of last week. did'nt soak these ones. i would not worry 2much as you can sow the seeds direct outside in june under a clotche till they poke threw, i did this last year, just thought i would try pots this year.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 13:31 »
Squashes seem to need quite a high temperature to germinate, certainly higher than their cousins courgettes and marrows.

The traditional day for sowing marrows outside is 15th May, rook shooting day. By the time they come up a frost is unlikely.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut squash

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 01:01
by Trillium
xx
butternut squash?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 11:57
by LittleRedHen
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by Nettles on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 16:33
by lucywil

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 34 queries.