Allotmet Advice

• 7 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Allotmet Advice
« on: January 10, 2010, 00:31 »
Hi guys - hope you wont mind if I ask a couple of quick questions please?

I have been considering getting an allotment for some time now, and have recently contacted our local council to see what is available in the area. As yet I have very little info back other than they are looking into it for me.

a) Can anyone tell me approx what is the weekly / monthly rent
b) What sort of size plot do you get (not sure I could manage anything too big)
c) I work full time and want this as a weekend / evening hobby for me & the kids - is this practical for an allotment or am I going to be taking on too much?

I havn't been able to growing anything at home as the garden area at my house is prone to flooding (serious style). I use to grow stuff at my old house, but this was before kids etc. I have seriously been considering this for about a year and finally decided if you don't try you don't know right?

Opinions welcome please....
Toni

Joolz

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotmet Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:51 »
Hi Toni

If you are concerned that a full plot might be a lot to take on straight away you might want to consider taking a half plot.

When I applied I added on the email that I would consider sharing a plot or taking a half plot. I was lucky and got offered my half plot lottie within about eight weeks. But that is not the norm waiting times, as you probably know, can vary from weeks to years.  :(

Joolz

Carol

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:07 »
Hi Toni

You should go for it - I have a half plot and it is plenty enough to keep me going at weekends, also have enough veg to share with friends and family.  In the first year you might find you need to spend a lot of time there, clearing, digging etc.  Once you have it dug over and weed free the time input is a lot less.

Rent varies a lot from site to site, my half plot costs me about £16 per year.  Bargain.  

The children will love it.

If you can't do it all in one go, all you need to to is cover part of it up to suppress the weeds, then work on a manageable sized chunk to start with.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17 »
yes a half plot to start would be ideal and is certainly manageable.

But that depends on the availability of course. Many allotment sites have a LONG waiting list (several years for a couple near to me) so if there IS an available plot, of whatever size, I would consider taking that as that as it might be a few years until a half plot becomes available.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:17 »
I think you will find that anywhere that has a long list will be offering half plots, and even smaller, as a way of reducing their lists.
That's what Ashford BC are doing...........good luck :)

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:36 »
I just have a quarter of a plot and I'm amazed at how much I can grow on that.  I got mine a couple of years ago when the site asked if plot holders where willing to give up a small part of theirs.  Looking round, I think in many cases smaller plots are used more efficiently.  I see quite a lot of wastage on bigger plots, both of land and crops that are wasted because too much of each crop is grown.  I can still supply my family with lots of vegetables and soft fruit.   :)

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 13:58 »
Thanks guys - some brill info there. I didn't know you could get half plots or plot shares! That would be prefect!

Had a reply off the local allotment co-ordinator, who says they may already have some available plots near me! She is going to get bck to me :)

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 21:48 »
That's really good new!  Good luck :)

xx
Getting a new allotmet

Started by ecky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 17:01
by fatbelly
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
No dig advice

Started by Wellington on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2020, 10:49
by Wellington

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 38 queries.