Has anyone saved seeds?

• 4 Replies

Flower

Has anyone saved seeds?
« on: November 17, 2006, 20:25 »
Does anyone save seeds and if so what are you currently saving? I save a few dahlias , Bishops Children. I was really wondering if anyone else  saves vegetable seeds, or are we not bothering and why not? I once had some old spanish tomato seeds and enough of them came up to keep them going for a few more years to come.If they aren't an F1 , could it be worth saving something for next year?

muntjac

Has anyone saved seeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 20:38 »
keep any seeds you want flower .just remember  some will not come back as true to the parent plant ,im all for diversity .i kept 2 runner bean plants from seperate types and i crossed them and kept what comes from the seed ,mostly rejects but it is fun trying ,dont let them get away into the general mix of garden swaps tho without telling folks what they are  :lol:
still alive /............

Jake

• Rockers
Has anyone saved seeds?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 15:05 »
Hello flower

I saved peas this year, loads of them, I had a really bumper crop. They were heirloom wanado variety. I have already planted some just to see if they worked and they ALL sprouted. :D

My mate who I passed my allotment on to has saved some swiss chard seeds, they were also an heirloom variety. Not sure how successful they will be because they don't look like the black crinkly seeds that I planted.

Apparently, if you let parsnips go to seed you get parsnips sprouting up all over the place the following year.

I once planted a tomato seed from a fruit that I bought from a supermarket and it grew, looked like a really healthy plant, the fruits were lovely deep red. The tomatos themselves though were horrid! really acid and a bit bitter too.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
Has anyone saved seeds?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 15:59 »
Hi I saved tomato seeds - have some black prince if you want any. Lovely dark red blackish medium sized tomatoes - grew well outdoors.

Send me  pm and I  shall send some to you or anyone else who wants some
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

Flower

The Bishops Children, heaven!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 21:00 »
Hi, Lentil, Muntjak, and Jake,
   Thanks for reply. Unfortunately I dont think I saved veg. seeds before, other than chives, and this tomato which (horror of horrors ) has disappeared. It was a Canaria? Why do tom plants turn up everywhere the compost goes?
    I always saved flower seeds. Must have just eaten all the veg. Any way I had the most wonderful Dahlias called  Bishops Children which I originally grew from seeds,'05 (Thanks to T.V.) I grew tubers and seeds this year and sold the proceeds but was left with a few remaining seedlings which were planted and turned out to be beautiful, medium to small, singles and semi doubles, yellow with pink edges and green leaves. But the tubers that I kept from '05 had very darkred flowers,med. ht., single and semi doubles , yellow stamen, dark bronze leaves . You can pick out which colours, you like by the leaves . They are just amazing. Some are like the Bishop of Landaff and go particularly well with  huge white candelabra, nicotiana sylvestris , also saved from seed. Stunning.

xx
Has anyone ever saved beetroot seeds?

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 14:56
by Elcie
xx
saved tomato seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2016, 09:32
by ARPoet
xx
saved bean seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 12:35
by mumofstig
clip
saved french bean seeds

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 12:34
by NickoV

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 28 queries.