Laying our a new veggie plot.

• 10 Replies

tinlizzy

« on: November 22, 2008, 23:35 »
I've begun to clear a piece of lawn to make a bigger veggie plot.   It's about 10'x 18', the long side running roughly North to South, there's a chestnut paling fence on the eastern side to separate it from the rest of the garden, I've planted raspberries along it so I can get at them from both sides.

I know it's not a very big plot but there's only me to feed.   How would be the best way to lay it out.   Should I do 10' rows going East to West?   Or would it be better to divide it into 2 with a path down the middle and plant in blocks?

I suppose I need to leave a foot or so to get to the raspberries so perhaps 2 beds 4' wide with a path a foot wide down the middle would be best.

Just to complicate matters there a raised circle slightly off centre, about 3' diameter made of large flints set in a larger, 4' ring of concrete, which at one time was a flower bed in the lawn.   There is no way I can break this up so will have to work round it.  

Any suggestions would be welcome.

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 00:01 »
i would have 4X 4'by8' beds this makes crop rotation easy ie plant say potatos in bed 1 year 1 then 2 in 2, 3 in 3, 4 in 4, then back to 1 in year 5 etc as for your flower bed plant something perminant like rhubarb hope this helps

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:02 »
You could grow some veg in pots on top of the concrete circle.  I have put some pots between my raised beds where there was extra space this year.  Had success with turnips, salad leaves and radishes.  This year I have also bought some seeds specificially for pots, so will do the same again next season.

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 12:14 »
I think I would have to manage to break upn the concrete circle, sure it cannot be that hard! It will just be in the way. Also make sure you allow enough room for things, RAsberrys for example need at least a yard on either side.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:57 »
I would divide it into 3 beds. This will give you beds 10 ft X 6 ft with rows running north south. 6ft beds are just right to hoe without needing to go on them.

You have not go a lot of space so probably just grow a couple of rows of early pots but no maincrop. Avoid big space users such as brassicas, squash and courgette. Concentrate on salads, beans, onion family and roots.

tinlizzy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 15:18 »
Thanks for the advice.   I didn't make it quite clear but the concrete is a ring rather that a solid circle.   Lots to think about and a lot more digging to do when the snow has gone!

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 17:57 »
so you can plant stuff within the circle then, no probs  :D   Just remember to leave yourself enough space to manoeuvre your wheelbarrow  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 20:34 »
Don't forget that concrete has lime in it, so don't plant lime-haters near it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:45 »
I'd run a path down the length of it, stopping where it hits the circle then continue from the other side, so (assuming you can walk all around the area as well) you can reach everywhere in the beds without walking on them. Similarly,  I'd run a path across the middle as well, so you don't have to walk too far when you want to get to the middle.

I think I'd grow herbs in the circle, although a teepee of beans would be fun. :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

DANNY

What to do.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 20:04 »
Hi,
I agree with the idea of the seperate devided plots and I say this for two reasons, (1) being the crop rotation, its important to rotate if you wanting to have healthy plants and maybe even a perminant plot for the likes of asparagus ,rhubarb or any of the plants that dont like to be moved,

(2) Its always easy to keep a small plot looking good due to the fact its not so hard on the back or eye to turn it over / weed it/ and Water it,

Now ref the ring as you,ve called it, how about making or buying a frame to go all the way round it and using this for beans, peas , etc?
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 21:51 »
Sounds like lots of potential with some of those ideas!  Have fun  :D
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

xx
My veggie plot

Started by Jaye on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 19:41
by paul2004
xx
I can soon plan my veggie plot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 22:52
by John
xx
Update on my veggie plot

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 02, 2006, 09:43
by John
xx
laying out a plot

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 22:52
by noshed

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.