How do you plan your plot visit?

• 26 Replies

Fairy Plotmother

Re: How do you plan your plot visit?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 11:46 »
Oh ... so my pipe dream of having loads of time in retirement and finally being able to 'do' my plot properly are a pipe dream then JayG  :lol: 

I shall continue honing my skills at catch-up then  ;)

just so!!!! :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 12:08 »
Oh ... so my pipe dream of having loads of time in retirement and finally being able to 'do' my plot properly are a pipe dream then JayG  :lol: 

I shall continue honing my skills at catch-up then  ;)

I am clearly highly skilled at procrastination so you will probably be OK New Shoot!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 07:37 »
I once read that the 1st 15minutes & the last 15 minutes  of any visit should be hoeing . I now try to hoe everywhere at least once a week in the main growing season, it saves an awful lot of work.

Our soil is unhoeable (new word) due to its heavy nature. When dry the hoe skids over the crust and sends clouds of dust up, when wet just digs in and stops, or slices off a layer which remains in one chunk, like a slice of cheese. On our plot it's crouching down and picking manually. :(

Robster

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 14:28 »
Well obviously there is always too much to do and things need to be prioritised.  I was much taken by something I read once the basic sentiment was "you can never get back a day missed sowing, but you can always catch up other jobs a bit more easily"  or something like that.  So I keep that thought in mind.  And the other thing I always try to leave a few minutes for a beer if I can.  As my wife used to say "it's a hobby, not a farm"  Wise wise woman indeed.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 18:59 »
I go to the plot, put the kettle on, make coffee, then contemplate my next action whilst enjoying the view. Sometimes my next action is to make another coffee and enjoy the view a bit more.
Being retired has it's benefits. :-)

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 19:51 »
I once read that the 1st 15minutes & the last 15 minutes  of any visit should be hoeing . I now try to hoe everywhere at least once a week in the main growing season, it saves an awful lot of work.

Our soil is unhoeable (new word) due to its heavy nature. When dry the hoe skids over the crust and sends clouds of dust up, when wet just digs in and stops, or slices off a layer which remains in one chunk, like a slice of cheese. On our plot it's crouching down and picking manually. :(l

Try a swoe, it cuts on the push & pull.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 12:38 »
Our soil is unhoeable (new word) due to its heavy nature. When dry the hoe skids over the crust and sends clouds of dust up, when wet just digs in and stops, or slices off a layer which remains in one chunk, like a slice of cheese. On our plot it's crouching down and picking manually. :(
Does it make a difference what kind of hoe you use?
I can't use dutch hoes, and favour a draw hoe, which pulls across the ground rather than pushing.
Or maybe a rake?
This worries me because we have clay soil.

jaydig

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 18:01 »
I usually plan my visits with tongue very firmly in cheek, as once I get there I'm distracted by other jobs that need doing, and rarely achieve what I went there for in the first place.

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 19:22 »
Does it make a difference what kind of hoe you use?
I can't use dutch hoes, and favour a draw hoe, which pulls across the ground rather than pushing.
Or maybe a rake?
This worries me because we have clay soil.

I’m not sure, but I know I get on better with the swoe.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 20:03 »
I usually plan my visits with tongue very firmly in cheek, as once I get there I'm distracted by other jobs that need doing, and rarely achieve what I went there for in the first place.

I hear you  :lol:  I think I am atually making things worse by planning  :wacko:

Today's plan was repair the damaged fruit cage.  This is 2 identical small cages side by side, with 1 big net over both.  I think I can salvage enough to make a new cage a bit smaller than the current one, then ....

I know, I'll shift it over there, move that, sort out that bit and have a real shunt round.  4 hours later the cage hasn't been touched, but I have done a load of extra jobs I didn't have when I got there  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 11:02 »
I've not been to my plot once this year  :(    I hope that when I finally get there all my stuff will be present and correct.  Back end, someone nicked my 45 gallon burning bin  :mad:   I stupidly left out my replacement small galvo incinerator  Doh  :wub:

Getting things going at home though, seed wise and in the greenhouse prep, raised beds etc   

I have to go to the plot for the whole day as it's a drive away now, and if the weather's terrible it's a bit pointless, other than tidying the shed

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 11:24 »
I've not been to my plot once this year  :(    I hope that when I finally get there all my stuff will be present and correct.  Back end, someone nicked my 45 gallon burning bin  :mad:   I stupidly left out my replacement small galvo incinerator  Doh  :wub:

Getting things going at home though, seed wise and in the greenhouse prep, raised beds etc   

I have to go to the plot for the whole day as it's a drive away now, and if the weather's terrible it's a bit pointless, other than tidying the shed

Nice to ‘see’ you again CQ, have you or your plot moved then?

xx
New Plot - What About This Plan?

Started by hightower on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 15:08
by potatogrower
xx
New to the site with a new plot to plan...

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 11:51
by mumofstig
clip
Plot plan: Anything amiss?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2023, 13:50
by Goosegirl
xx
I can soon plan my veggie plot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 22:52
by John

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 49 queries.