Noisy Bantam Silver Appleyards

• 3 Replies

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Noisy Bantam Silver Appleyards
« on: January 06, 2012, 19:59 »
Advice needed please.

My niece has two drake Call ducks, a Mini Crested duck and two Bantam Silver Appleyards ducks.

One of the Appleyards has temporarily been living with her other ducks who permanently live with my sister (long story) due to her being rather noisy. The duck not my sister.

The Appleyard is now back with her other ducks and both Appleyards are proving to be rather noisy when in their large run (they free range when she's home) and my niece is worried about her neighbours regarding the noise.

Has anyone else found Appleyards to be noisy? According to my book they are foragers and busy ducks.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Noisy Bantam Silver Appleyards
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 15:11 »
I have a full sized Silver Appleyard and although she is not the noisiest in terms of quantity she definitely has the greatest volume!

I found my Campbells were the noisiest and worried about my neighbours too. Luckally the neighbours actually really liked the noise. If in doubt a few eggs tend to ease these tensions!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 13:00 »
Hmmmm. Seems any size Appleyard is rather 'chatty' then! I've asked elsewhere and everyone's seem to have volume.

My niece isn't having a good time of it with her ducks, with one suddenly dying, then the very active noisy one and two days ago a neighbours dog flew over her 6ft fence chasing a cat and attacked one of her other ducks.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 20:56 »
That's really upsetting. Ducks are such sturdy, healthy things that it is really hard when one of them just up and dies. I have lost ducks to foxes and had a duck drown which was really upsetting. Luckly not lost any to ill health or unexplained causes.

Now quail, that's a different matter! Die at the drop of a hat!

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.