I would like to buy miniature chicks and a house for them

• 12 Replies

ozziemerlin

« on: September 12, 2007, 20:04 »
Hi,

I originated from a farm in Germany and since I came here in the UK, I wanted to have chickens again. I just love animals.
Since we moved into a bungalow (Swayfield, Lincs) with about 1/3 acre of land, I can actually have them.
I would like to purchase 3-4 miniature chickens and a nice house for them, but really don't want to spend GBP400 what I have seen on the net as prices for a 4 bed house (must be the property market).

Can anyone advise where to go.

Thanks a million and I promise the animals will not be put down unless they suffer from an illness, I don't keep my animals for the meat, I adore animals and they make me happy :arrow:  :arrow:

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 20:45 »
fer get the £400 con . get a small shed 6x4 6ft 6ins high . £100 and make a run for em with wire n wood yaself £75.  a perch a food tray a grit /ostyer shell tray n water containers £50 birds £15 from the auctions up that way . grannieannie will know where to get them i reckon ......... ur sorted £250 .. if ya real handy with a hammer n nails ya can get pallets for nowt and then make it all yeaself fer less than a £100
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 21:27 »
Thanks Munty.  Hi Ozzie, I'm really only into rescuing ex battery chickens and now rearing our own hybrids for eggs and for sale, but when you say miniature chicks, do you mean bantams? or baby chickens?

Let me know, and I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.  Of course, if you want some nice white very attractive chickens that will lay you lots of lovely fresh eggs.......

nicibabe33

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 21:38 »
Aww those baby chicks again, awwwww
Luv Nici x

ozziemerlin

Bantams
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:47 »
Hi Grannieannie,

Thanks for trying to help me. I am after Bantams, if they are dwarf chickens.
I think I have to buy my run, not very good with hammer and nails and I am a female too, my hubby is not good either.

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:01 »
hey dont knock being a female, we can be just as good as the men at making things    :wink:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:08 »
That's just what I was going to say Van, nowt wrong with being a female, even if some people on here do say we can't hold a hammer correctly!!!!

Before I met my OH, I had to do everything myself, but as he's a builder and always telling me I don't do things right, so now I don't do them, I leave it to him, then if it goes wrong its HIS fault!!!!  :lol:  :lol:

I'll see what I can find for you Ozzie and get back to you soonest.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 13:05 »
hey hey this female got stuck in with the hammer and nails stuff...I did have help with it from my bloke but I am sure I could do the next one myself now I understand it.

Ours cost us about £15 to £20 we went to B&Q and bought a tool store kit which was damaged so reduced and converted it, it is easy to use easy to clean and ideal for what we want, if you only want a few chickens then you should be able to find something quite cheeply.

I have had another one of these 'part sheds' from B&Q again recently so its not unusual for them to be available.

This is what we got:-
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=666
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=668

we added and egg box to the side and cut some holes added a door and hey presto we got our first egg today so they must be happy
Andrea
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 20:48 »
Hi Ozzie, right, I've been going through my old Smallholder magazines and come up with a few phone numbers.

Mind you, these are old mags, some going back to 1999, so dont' know if all these people are still doing bantams.  I tried phoning them, and the phone numbers are ringing but no answers, so they may have been out working.

Anyway, hope they help.

Parkside poultry, Lincolnshire 01507 526066 or 07771 7263387

The Beeches, South Lincs, 01775 640864 after 6pm

Shoff Farm Poultry, Graham and Lynda Palmer 01775 821192

The lat 2 are Spalding numbers, so not too far from you, but not sure where the other one is, don't recognise the code.

Good luck, I'll keep looking!!!!!

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 21:43 »
Build your own.
Cost me about £60 with quite a bit of that being for the chicken wire for the run.

[/IMG]

Had to get the wife to paint it though!!

ozziemerlin

I found some
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 17:44 »
Thanks to you all for your great help. I tried Grannie Annie's numbers, and a few others, emailed the Poultry Club and found that the secretary has a few for sale and she lives just a few miles from my home. Absolutely fab. I know have to get the housing, which I might ebay or somehow nail together, get a few bits and bites and I can start.

One last question (hopefully): Can they stay out in winter or do I have to have a shed to put them in.

I am really happy and now have just to find names and the prices for the chicks, don't know yet how much she will charge.....

Thanks again, Frieda - I will keep you updated, if you want to hear!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 18:10 »
Pleas don't forget CHICKEN WIRE IS NOT FOX PROOF.  

Weld mesh is the best option.  BUT if you use chicken wire use it double thickness on the bottom 3 ft of the run !!!!:!:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 21:04 »
Glad you are getting sorted Frieda.  You will need a shed or something for your chickens to sleep in at night anyway, but you don't need to shut them in over the winter.  They will love being outside, and once they realise that rain is WET! they will soon run in when it starts! lol

Yes, please keep us updated !!!

xx
Getting chicks to use the hen house

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 19:34
by woodside farm
xx
Miniature chicken breeders near London anyone?

Started by stokiechicks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 20:04
by joyfull
xx
Where can I find Miniature Silver Appleyards?!!!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 07:54
by flangey
xx
Polish and Miniature Old English Game

Started by Frizzle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 12:27
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 35 queries.