Soil for blueberries

• 4 Replies

Jackypam

Soil for blueberries
« on: October 17, 2013, 21:00 »
I have a blueberry planted in a pot in bought ericaceous soil from the GC and sunk in a bed in the fruit cage 3 years ago. I want to plant a couple more in the same bed as the space is wasted at the moment.  I'd really like to put them in the soil.  Is there something I can add to the soil to make it acid enough please?  It is pretty much neutral at the moment I think, but my test kit is a bit rubbish, so if anyone can recommend a good, not too expensive one to replace it, that would be great too.

Asherweef

Re: Soil for blueberries
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 22:24 »
I add spent coffee grounds to my soil just to keep acidity up. I do believe that I read on here though that it only works if you use un-steeped grounds though... I've not had problems (yet!).

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:41 »

I've got nine assorted blueberry plants , they were in the ground initially but I couldn't get it acid enough.

There in really big tubs now , and I feed them with ericacous feed (from Wilko's) and they have done a lot better

since I moved them .

The problem if your soil is not acid already is that whatever you add to the area around your blueberries just drains away in the surrounding soil.

A friend of mine  got, some small plastic drums (about 3ft x 2ft) cut the top and bottom off dug a hole put the drums in then filled with ericacous compost, they seem to be doing ok.

He feeds them with ericacous feed also.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:10 »
The probe-type pH meters have been discussed here many times, and it would appear that you have to spend a lot of money to get an accurate one, which doesn't make much sense for the amateur - the chemical test kits are available quite cheaply at most garden centres, and are quite accurate, albeit more "faff."

If you know your soil is chalky, or turns out to have a pH higher than 7 you will have to consider something like the physical isolation Carlrmj has just referred to, because you will never be able to lower the pH of the soil enough to be successful.

Mine is naturally around neutral, but my blueberries do quite well with annual dressings of sulphur chips, ericaceous feed, peat moss as a mulch, and of course watering with rainwater only. I've never managed to get the pH lower than about 6, and they probably would do better if I could, but at least they've got well-drained soil in their favour.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jackypam

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 20:49 »
The probe-type pH meters have been discussed here many times, and it would appear that you have to spend a lot of money to get an accurate one, which doesn't make much sense for the amateur - the chemical test kits are available quite cheaply at most garden centres, and are quite accurate, albeit more "faff."

If you know your soil is chalky, or turns out to have a pH higher than 7 you will have to consider something like the physical isolation Carlrmj has just referred to, because you will never be able to lower the pH of the soil enough to be successful.

Mine is naturally around neutral, but my blueberries do quite well with annual dressings of sulphur chips, ericaceous feed, peat moss as a mulch, and of course watering with rainwater only. I've never managed to get the pH lower than about 6, and they probably would do better if I could, but at least they've got well-drained soil in their favour.
Wish mine were well drained. Heavy clay is more accurate!  Thanks for the advice on ph kits.

xx
getting the soil right for blueberries

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 11:46
by JayG
xx
blueberries direct in soil?

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 10:49
by moose
xx
Anyone tried blueberries on clay soil?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:01
by penance
xx
Blueberries on Alkali soil

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 18, 2019, 13:02
by adri

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 39 queries.