Duck house

• 6 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Duck house
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:36 »
My 4 ducklings are currantly in my orignal (too small for chickens) chicken coop, Now they are getting bigger they need something more suitable. Will a bigger chicken coop, without perches be ok for them or do i need a 'special' type of duck house? Ark type thingy?
I did buy 1 before i got the ducklings but it isnt big enough for 1 duck never mind 4. if anyone has any photos of their duck houses to give me a few ideas, That would be great  :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Duck house
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 17:34 »
Mine have a dog house. Not one of the little ones but a large one with split doors so I can open up the top and check on them without them escaping on me  ::) It was cheaper and better built than commercial duck houses and it houses up to 8 large breed ducks on sq ft. As I got it locally they also came and erected it for me for free  :D  It is ventilated just above head height and I can get in to clean without bending down too much. It would also be great for chooks with perches added in the left section.  I also have a forsham duck ark as well for the young ones to go in. Eventually they will probably take themselves into the main house if like my chickens and ignore the regs squeezing all into one house instead of the two  ::)
WPM$556D.jpg

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 17:37 »
This is the ark
duck ark.jpg

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 17:42 »
My hens squeeze into 1 house instead of using both of them  :ohmy: Naughty girls! Could I ask ahuge favour Cara, Could you measure your house for me? So I know im getting something big enough. Would you recommend the ark as a main house or not?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 17:49 »
I give at least 2 sq ft per duck, although I find all 6 in a 2ft sq area on top of each other in the morning  ::) My two drakes are heavy breed and the girls are all lighter so I think by averaging the space to 2 sq ft it makes it easier to calculate.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 17:54 »
Thank you  :) :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 19:27 »
Mine never really took to their arc and in the end, as u expanded, I got a garden storage chest that I adapted and they all much preferred it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Duck house help please....

Started by Sadgit on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 22:24
by orchardlady
xx
play house to hen house

Started by Catsmuvva on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 10:03
by ANHBUC
xx
First Duck Egg!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 15:12
by Helenaj
xx
help with a duck

Started by chris999666 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 17:16
by chris999666

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 29 queries.