Growing > Grow Your Own

garlic sprays

(1/2) > >>

rowlandwells:
after watching someone making a garlic spray on the TV and the benefits of using garlic spray I thought I mite try that should I mix my own or buy well if I buy enough garlic spray a bottle costing around £15 quid would make 5lts of spray ?

so do I bite the bullet and make my own because its said garlic spray will  control the slug population and hopefully caterpillars and its organic

so wats your opinion on using garlic spray does it work ? how long does it last before one needs to respray?

Yorkie:
I have never tried it, but I have heard it mentioned on here before.  I can't remember the proportions they mentioned on the TV last night, but they said they used it every week or twice a week if it was raining a lot.

I've always wondered whether edible crops would end up tasting of garlic - I think the TV person yesterday was a hosta grower if memory serves me right.

Aidy:
I am currently trying a spray that in theory will resist slugs, snails, catterpillars and kills the likes of blackfly.
I can say after watching a slug last night crawl upto a sprout leaf, then what looked like about to take bite then turn into a ball (I suspect in pain) and promtly crawl away again I would say on slugs it worked.
So the recipe.
2 orange peels
1 garilc clove
good sprinkling of black pepper
2 really hot chillies (I use chocolate trinidad scorpion)
chop up and put in a pan (windows open) and bring to boil and simmer for about 20 mins. Leave overnight to steep.
Put into blender and whizz up. This will make about 500ml of puree.
Now when your ready add half to a jug and then top up to 1 litre and add 1 Tspoon of liquid soap.
I then give a good stir and pass it through cloth into the spray bottle.
It seems to last a while even when it rains.

Grubbypaws:
I have not tried a spray but after a tiresome gooseberry sawfly squashing season 2 years ago I underplanted the plants with garlic. I haven't seen a single sawfly since so either it works or the sawfly have had a bad couple of years  :unsure:

hasbeans:
There is some evidence that garic spray is toxic to pollinators like bees.  Unfortunately organic doesn't mean safe.
https://academic.oup.com/jinsectscience/article/15/1/137/2583443

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version