A little story of unloved chicklings, luck and happy endings.

• 19 Replies

Spana

On Tuesday evening I went out to shut the hens up for the night, it was about 9.30, quiet, warm and still. I stood for a while and thought I could hear chicks cheeping like crazy.

After a lot of searching I found a wild mallard duck sitting on eggs under a pile of farm gates in one of the barns. Hens had also been laying in her nest and the chicks had hatched before the ducklings. The duck had no interest in the chicklings at all and the poor little things were heading towards dehydration.

I knew I had a broody who had been sitting for several weeks on an empty nest, so scooped up the chicklings, dunked each beak into water and headed off with them in a bucket plus one unhatched hens egg left in the ducks nest to the broody hen.

Luckily she was facing backwards so couldn’t really see what was going on. I slipped each chick under her plus the egg. I’ll never forget the look of surprise on her face when she heard the cheeping from underneath her feathers and she started to talk to them straight away.  I was a bit concerned the chicks wouldn’t accept the hen as their mum but needn’t have worried. The little broody has even hatched the last egg.

Two of the chicks have straddled legs so I’ve tied their legs together and they seem to be getting about fine. They all seem happy as a family and I’m chuffed with the result.

The wild Mallard is still sat on the nest under the pile of gates and can now get on with hatching  her own ducklings.   :happy:

The chick at the front is one with its legs tied and is standing quite well.   :)

Sparkyrog

sweet love a happy ending  :blush:
I cook therefore I grow

snowdrops

What lucky chicklings they were that you heard them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Springlands

Oh Spana - that is a lovely story.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Lovely, Spana. :D I'm not surprised you're pleased with that outcome.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

themagicaltoad1

That's a really lovely story, lucky for them you found them and the broody accepted them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
That is a lovely story with a happy ending.   :D

Do you know whose chicks they are?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Spana

I love it when a plan comes together :D

No idea ANHBUC, looking at them they look to be from 2 maybe 3 different hens but its impossible to tell out of over 50, all free ranging.  :)

The two with tied up legs are doing so well now that its hard to tell them apart from the others without seeing the string. :)

BobE

How wonderful.

ANHBUC

I love it when a plan comes together :D

No idea ANHBUC, looking at them they look to be from 2 maybe 3 different hens but its impossible to tell out of over 50, all free ranging.  :)

The two with tied up legs are doing so well now that its hard to tell them apart from the others without seeing the string. :)

It sounds like my little bunch of Heinz 57 mainly because of not knowing "who's the Daddy"!.  I love waiting to see what feather colouring they get.  I have 9 Welsummer bantam crosses and 1 Partridge Wyandotte cross that are just starting to feather up.

I find that the leg hobble works really quickly so you should be able to take it off soon.   ;)  How many chicks are there Spana?  Keep the photos of their progress coming.   :D

Spana

How many chicks are there Spana?    :D

Seven and the duck had ten eggs of her own so she did well to cover them.  :)

ANHBUC

:ohmy:  When are the ducklings due to hatch then?

Spana

Well chicks take 21 days and ducklings 28 so a week after the chicks hatched. Should be next Monday- Tuesday. :)

ANHBUC

They might arrive earlier as my bantam eggs have been taking over the 21 days lately!   ::)  I look forward to the update.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Lovely storey, the broody hen has beautiful markings. Of course the chicks are gorgeous too.  ;)

xx
Wish me luck

Started by racolclough on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 23:18
by NormandyMary
sad
Not having much luck lately

Started by barley on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 11:29
by Snoop
xx
stroke of luck

Started by lee-d on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 11:58
by grinling
xx
Cat and chicken story or . . .

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 23:07
by evie2

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.