Freecycle

• 47 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Freecycle
« on: May 25, 2007, 21:04 »
I've joined two local Freecycle groups. Have found a good home for two window boxes, and am proud owner of a large strong plastic tank complete with tap, to use on our allotment.  It's a wonderful idea - but I do wonder if anyone will ever go the extra mile to collect that only slightly scuffed plastic cutlery set !!!!!!!  Mind you, our old cutlery now comes in useful for pricking out and potting on so that we can grow nice veggies to dig into with our new cutlery !!!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

crowndale

Freecycle
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 21:22 »
I've got rid of a lot of stuff I no longer wanted and couldn't be bothered to flog on ebay (most of it was not worth much anyway), and am the proud owner now of several pallets and a fireguard.  I keep my eyes open for bargains but am usually too slow for teh best stuff!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Freecycle
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 21:30 »
I love freecyle so far this year I have gained a rotavator, petrol strimmer, JA's ,exercise bike, to name but a few bits, have given away loads of stuff, church bench, elliptical trainer, tv etc.
According to our local paper Leicester freecycle is one of the busiest in the country. Fab idea better than it going to landfill.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Freecycle
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 05:58 »
I picked up a load of gardening mags :D

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
Freecycle
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 16:42 »
I'm now the owner of a compost bin and a manual lawnmower courtesy of freecycle and it is slowly helping to empty my cellar :)

IMHO its a fantastic idea to share and pass around stuff we may not want, but someone else could really use.
Em x

not organic, but cutting down on the chemicals

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Freecycle
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 22:02 »
Quote from: "emmalm"
I'm now the owner of a manual lawnmower courtesy of freecycle

:mrgreen: I'm so envious, I've been looking for one for the lottie paths for ages without luck  :(

fatgit

Freecycle
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 16:29 »
Just be careful if taking "good quality top soil".

I collected 8 sacks a couple of weeks ago, and the top few inches of each sack were full of decent soil, the rest was mainly clay and turf, which I have had to dispose of at the local tip.

Some people are out to misuse Freecycle as a way to dispose of any old rubbish that they can't be bothered taking to the tip unfortunately.
Luckily, I'm one of our area's moderators, so I can ensure this user never gets away with it again.
Always ensure that what you are collecting is actually as described, otherwise Freecycle is an excellent resource.
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Freecycle
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 20:26 »
This old composter (well I think it is) is my freecycle find.

Is looking good, thought I would make use of the holes.  Needed a new strawberry bed this year.  Watering is easy too!! :lol:  :lol:

My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Freecycle
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 20:42 »
Hey I've got one of those flat packed behind the shed I always thought it was a strawberry planter.
 We had it up years ago full of strawberry's but they always seemed to disappear, turns out the kids used to ride round it on their plastic cars etc and eat em all  :lol:

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Freecycle
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 20:55 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hey I've got one of those flat packed behind the shed I always thought it was a strawberry planter.
 We had it up years ago full of strawberry's but they always seemed to disappear, turns out the kids used to ride round it on their plastic cars etc and eat em all  :lol:
:D  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Freecycle
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 22:33 »
It's a rotocrop compost bin.  We had one for about 20 years.  Only just replaced it.  They are brilliant, the panels slide up so you can dig the compost out of the bottom.  It originally came with a blow up lid for insulation which fitted into a gap in the joint grooves with little plastic pegs.  That soon got replaced with a piece of carpet.  

Don't they make a great planter  :D

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
Freecycle
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 15:59 »
Sadly on freecycle in my area it is all 90% Wanted postings
Steve

WG.

Freecycle
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 16:04 »
Hi siztenboots & welcome to the forum.  We have a Welcome Forum if you'd like to introduce yourself ...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Freecycle
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 16:14 »
Quote from: "siztenboots"
Sadly on freecycle in my area it is all 90% Wanted postings

Welcome endorsed.

Yes on my local groups there's a heck of a lot of begging emails, some downright cheeky. If I've got something to give away, then I'll post it.

I've set up a message rule so that anything with 'wanted' in the subject line goes straight into the 'deleted items' folder!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

David.

Freecycle
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 18:24 »
Quote from: "redwellies"
This old composter (well I think it is) is my freecycle find

I had one of those composters left on a plot I took over, and only thought of using the holes to weave bailer twine through and tie it to something stable as it kept falling over if filled with compost.

xx
Freecycle

Started by EzLou on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 10:06
by new_2_veg
xx
What is going on with Freecycle?

Started by Salmo on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 16:07
by lisa80
xx
freecycle

Started by evie2 on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 20:19
by ex-cavator
xx
Thank the Lord for freecycle

Started by Sprouts on Frugal Living

132 Replies
Last post July 13, 2014, 16:49
by rowan57

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 35 queries.