Re using pickling vinegar

• 8 Replies

Flower girl

Re using pickling vinegar
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:06 »
Is there any reason why I shouldnt use the vinegar left over from my last batch of pickled onions for new ones?
Thanks  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Re using pickling vinegar
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11 »
I'd have thought that it would have lost it strength by leeching out the water content of the onions and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the acetic acid content of the vinegar is somewhat diminished.

Just chuck it on your chips!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Flower girl

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:38 »
 :D Thanks Digger Dave. Kind of makes sense when you think about it :-)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:49 »

If you have done wot I 'ave dun and made your own spiced vinegar tis a shame to chuck it.  I re-invigorate it with a bit of white vinegar and re-use.   (and the trouble I had finding blade mace)!      Cheers,    Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:33 »
Is there any reason why I shouldnt use the vinegar left over from my last batch of pickled onions for new ones?
Thanks  :unsure:
For me, I stick a few chillies in it (cut up but with the seeds) bottle it, and then use it like I'd use chipshop malt vinegar. (gives poached eggs an added zipppp.)
small scale gardener, large scale eater

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 15:53 »

(and the trouble I had finding blade mace)!     

I've used a brilliant online spice merchant in the past, http://thespiceworks.co.uk/  However, it seems they may have stopped doing mace blades, which is a shame because they were such good value - 100g for £3.16.  Anyway, the website is an Aladdin's cave for anyone interested in spices, whether for pickling or cooking in general, and I always get my cinnamon sticks from them because they're much better quality/size than you get in the supermarkets.  Same goes for all their stuff - their allspice berries are far bigger and seem fresher/more fragrant, and they do a fab 5-colour pepper mix for the pepper mill.  If you spend a tenner, you get free p&p too.

As for the mace blades, there are a couple of other online spice merchants who do them (and on eBay too), but unfortunately they're not as cheap as The Spiceworks were :(

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 15:57 »
... as for the original question, I've also read you shouldn't re-use it as it is slightly diluted by whatever's been pickled, and therefore bacteria can be present even if it's been kept in the fridge.  However, like Tadpole, I also use it like chip shop vinegar, and have never had any probs.  I guess if you really wanted to re-use it, you may be able to boil it to ensure you kill off any nasties and any water evaporates, but I think it might be safer if the end product (i.e. the new pickle) was stored in the fridge from the outset just in case.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 15:59 by cheshirecheese »

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 16:51 »
Re the mace blades mentioned in my previous post, I emailed The Spiceworks earlier and they say although they're out of stock at the moment, they're expeciting further stocks in the not too distant future.  So, watch this space ... well, their space !www.thespiceworks.co.uk

Flower girl

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 22:44 »
Thanks all for your suggestions and knowledge. I love this website. Everyone is so helpful :-) xx

xx
Vinegar for pickling

Started by AdsaM on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 16:14
by AdsaM
xx
pickling vinegar

Started by brianc on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 19:27
by Mrs Bee
xx
Pickling vinegar

Started by aubergine on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 10:35
by sunshineband
xx
Pickling Vinegar

Started by jmc1949 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 20:50
by cricketwidow

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 33 queries.