Fleece instead of debris netting?

• 3 Replies

Elcie

Fleece instead of debris netting?
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:42 »
I am now at the stage where I need to consider what I am going to cover my brassicas with to protect them from the Cabbage White butterflies laying their eggs on them. 

Last year I tried the 10mm netting but they got through this.  I know that debris netting is considered to be the best by lots of you on here, but is there any reason why I can't just use the fleece that I got from Poundland?  Would the light get through enough?

Thinking pennies and how to save them!

Nikkithefoot

Re: Fleece instead of debris netting?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:49 »
I guess fleece would be ok, but it is more fragile than other things so might not stand up to weather and animals in the longer term. If it tore and you weren't there it would defeat the point of cover
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:53 »
I have used fleece, it works well .You need to make sure it is firmly held in place and there are no gaps where the butterfly can get in . It can rip in strong winds . Are you planning just to drape over the plants or make a tunnel .Not sure whether the butterfly can lay eggs through the fleece , I think that can happen when using net if the plant is in contact with the net.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:28 »
Thanks for the advice.  I have some blue water pipe in place on three of my beds although will need more as I went a bit overboard on brassicas this year!  Although in my defence I blame the chickens as I know how much they love them.  I will have a look at how much fleece I have and use this on some of the beds.

My main problem (if you can call it a problem!) is that I am away for 3 1/2 weeks in August in India and therefore the OH is in charge of stopping butterfly eggs from hatching.  Don't think he has quite the patience I do when I pick them all off by hand!

xx
Fleece or debris netting

Started by wendyg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 16:31
by RichardA
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
debris netting

Started by withnail on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:41
by Jeanieblue
xx
Debris netting

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 16:01
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 38 queries.