Mould in compost bin

• 8 Replies

kath77

Mould in compost bin
« on: June 24, 2007, 17:09 »
I've recently bought one of these Dalek-style compost bins (I've only ever used open, homemade compost bins made from pallets) and I opened it today to find a layer of pongy, white mould covering the contents  :?

Contents so far: veg peelings, tea bags, lawn cuttings (not too much), and dogwood and pyracantha chippings from the chipper. Oh, and a layer of shop bought compost at the bottom to start it off.

Is this common, or is the something wrong?

Thanks!
Kath
Kath

Trillium

Mould in compost bin
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:37 »
Mold usually means it's too wet and not hot enough. You'll have to bite the bullet and pull everything out and turn it all over to develop the heat needed to breakdown everything into compost. Add any fresh grass clippings or fresh horse/cow manure to help heat it up.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Mould in compost bin
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:32 »
Basic question - is it standing on soil?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

milkman

Mould in compost bin
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34 »
my advice - take it all out, mix it up, add in some dryer material e.g. loo/kitchen roll tubes, strips of newspaper, waste from guinea pig or rabbit hutch at the same time.  In my experience it doesn't matter whether you site these bins on concrete slabs or directly on the soil - you can make good compost on both.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

MrsR

Mould in compost bin
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:39 »
If its raining where you are today mix it today - the fruit flys won't attack so much  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Mould in compost bin
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:58 »
Quote from: "milkman"
my advice - take it all out, mix it up, add in some dryer material e.g. loo/kitchen roll tubes, strips of newspaper, waste from guinea pig or rabbit hutch at the same time.  In my experience it doesn't matter whether you site these bins on concrete slabs or directly on the soil - you can make good compost on both.

What about the worms? How do they get in through concrete slabs?

milkman

Mould in compost bin
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 14:23 »
If a worm thinks it'll make a nice home it will find its way in somehow!

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Mould in compost bin
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 04:07 »
go to any fishing tackle shop and buy a load of worms chuck them in your compost problem solved :wink:

kath77

Mould in compost bin
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 17:02 »
Thanks for all the suggestions - I opened it again today and it's even worse - urgh  :shock:

It's standing on gravel behind the shed. I scraped back the top layer of gravel and found some worms, to my surprise  :D so it seemed an ideal place. I like the idea of more worms - I'll look into it.

Too wet and not hot enough does seem like the answer. All this rain and no sun and not quite the right balance. I've got some newspaper which can go in and some loo roll tubes - do I chop them up a bit?

As soon as this rain stops, I'll mow the lawn and hopefully that'll do the trick. I've just turned it all over (ick) and let the flies out!!

Kath

xx
white mould

Started by crowndale on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 08:08
by crowndale
xx
Leaf Mould

Started by boosmummy on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 12:32
by TerryB
xx
Making leaf mould.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 14:31
by jezza
xx
possible mould on apple trees

Started by karlooben on General Gardening

35 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 07:53
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.