Leftovers and waste

• 64 Replies

madcat

Re: Leftovers and waste
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 10:51 »
[  I buy cheap popsock tights to put the bones in, so I can fish them out easily  ;)

Now there is a good idea!  I would never have thought of that ....  excellent!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 18:04 »
I can't claim it as my idea  :lol:  I saw it on a Nigella programme where she used one to put spices in for infusing in something.  It also works well for that :)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 18:23 »
I've been known to use them when I've no muslin or cotton squares to hold whole spices in when making chutney!
Val
Recipes Galore!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 19:27 »
At the risk of going off topic, John purloined the rest of my pop socks for tree ties and I've now plenty of muslin :D.

wighty

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2016, 09:12 »
But why do the meals you make from your leftovers that are 'one offs' taste so much better than the ones you make following a recipe with all the correct ingredients in?  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2016, 12:17 »
Strangely enough, when I was on chemo I had this thing about cooking meals but, when I found a recipe, my OH always modified it. It's all about tasting as you go to get what is right for you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 06:58 »
I often make suggestions for modifying recipes when Mrs Growster is cooking, which probably explains why there are so many bumps on my head - strangely shaped like a large wooden spoon...

;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 10:29 »
I often make suggestions for modifying recipes when Mrs Growster is cooking, which probably explains why there are so many bumps on my head - strangely shaped like a large wooden spoon...

;0)

Oh dear .... maybe not the way to try to modify recipes perhaps 😭
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 12:29 »
She's a little stirrer!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 13:07 »

;0)

Brian does that too, plus he always stands in between me and/or the cooker, larder or fridge while I am cooking, so always in the way!   :( :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 18:27 »
Mine gets shoo'd out as well, as he lurks when he is hungry and the meal is not cooking quite fast enough.  I have explained that glaring at the oven makes no odds, but he's unconvinced  ::)

I have been busy all afternoon heading some waste off at the pass. 

A squash was developing a soft patch, so it has been chopped, roasted and is now cooling before heading for the freezer.  The shallots were starting to shoot, so they have also been roasted and are now getting frozen.  The garlic was also off, so I now have a jar of chopped garlic in oil in the fridge.  I also roasted a load, squeezed it out of the skins and am freezing it on a baking tray in small lumps.  Once they are frozen, I will bag up the lumps for chucking into future dishes.

After all that work with alliums, I have cried buckets and will be vampire proof for weeks  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 14:27 »
Mine gets shoo'd out as well, as he lurks when he is hungry and the meal is not cooking quite fast enough.  I have explained that glaring at the oven makes no odds, but he's unconvinced ::)

I have been busy all afternoon heading some waste off at the pass. 

A squash was developing a soft patch, so it has been chopped, roasted and is now cooling before heading for the freezer.  The shallots were starting to shoot, so they have also been roasted and are now getting frozen.  The garlic was also off, so I now have a jar of chopped garlic in oil in the fridge.  I also roasted a load, squeezed it out of the skins and am freezing it on a baking tray in small lumps.  Once they are frozen, I will bag up the lumps for chucking into future dishes.

After all that work with alliums, I have cried buckets and will be vampire proof for weeks  :lol:

A Watched pot and all that????   LOL   Brian is just the same.  Told me several years ago that it doesn't REALLY matter if dinner isn't ready by 6pm, but I guess old habits die hard.  5.30 comes and he's wanting to know if its nearly ready yet!   xxxx

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2017, 11:04 »
With boys and dogs we rarely have leftovers - and I have to work quickly if i am cooking "plan-overs"!

I feel a lot of my catering is based on the Ready Steady Cook school of cuisine, due to circumstances short-circuiting my planning......
ManicMum

compostqueen

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 19:50 »
If you have kids, dogs, cats, chickens, plus a husband that will eat owt, oh and an open fire, there is never anything left over. I do like a scrat up though. It always seems to taste better than any planned thing  :)

I used to work at a place where they use to put the oven trays etc which had been used for cooking roasts etc outside on the garden for the dogs, cats, hens, weather, to do their work before attempting to wash them up, usually about a month later. If they needed a cooking tin before then they'd just go and bring one back in  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2017, 09:39 »
Mrs Growster is building a 'bubble and squeak' from scratch as we speak...

Not a leftover in there!

xx
Christmas leftovers

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 16:21
by snowdrops
xx
Christmas leftovers - are you winning the fight?

38 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 21:53
by superpete
clip
Food waste - I think I might have a problem…

21 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 16:43
by wighty
xx
Turning potential waste into ingredients

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2016, 23:03
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.