Elderflower Champage Going Mouldy

• 4 Replies

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:24 »
My week old elderflower champagne has began to mould and the smell is quite intense and over powering at times. I think the problem could be that some of the elderflower bits were left in and some still remain. The champagne is fizzing which I heard is a good sign but i'm concerned that my champagne will need to be chucked away due to the mould, there was not a great deal but it is off putting and I have removed while I search for a solution. The champagne is being kept in a 20 litre bucket and covered by an old t-shirt and secured with some rope to preven insects getting in. Is my champagne a write off?

This is a first attempt for me so i'm not expecting miracles or anything, just need to know if my champagne is still good to brew.

gardengran

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 23:40 »
only kept mine in the bucket for 48 ish hrs then strained and bottled it, it was then ready after 2 weeks to drink and its really nice....how long have you kept yours in bucket for? i did read if you kept it in bucket for much longer it started to smell like cat p  :?
please god let my carrots grow as big as the dock roots!

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 13:22 »
Yeh well that's probably right cos mine started to smell after 3 or 4 days of being in the bucket.. It got so bad it smelt like vomit, it was really quite disgusting to say the least so I chucked it down the drain.

I'll try again next year :)

monkeybum

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 14:01 »
Mine was in the bucket six days and was absolutely fine. Its made a fab sparkling wine. Well I've two litres left, out of twelve...hic! :D

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:22 »
There are two types of elderflower, the white ones and creamy ones. Apparently if you use the creamy coloured ones it gives the cats pee smell. The mold I have no idea with as I tend to sulphite my must for 24 hours to stun any wild yeasts before pitching my brewers yeast. I certainly wouldn't add sulphite once it is fermenting.

There are some very knowledgable folks over at Wines at home who would be able to help.

wireless
elderflower champers - mouldy

Started by titch on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:45
by titch
xx
Elderflower champagne mouldy!

Started by Lucy Danning on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 13:38
by Beetroot queen
xx
Elderflower

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

44 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 12:30
by 8doubles
xx
Elderflower IPA

Started by Newportalien on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 12:39
by Newportalien

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.