What time bedtime?

• 6 Replies

Flowerpower136

What time bedtime?
« on: June 15, 2016, 08:11 »
I was looking after a friend's hens about a month ago. Lovely set up in a big free range paddock, I was surprised and sceptical to be told they'd all be in bed by 6.30. But they were, all I had to do was a quick headcount and shut the door.  But why go to bed while there's still hours of daylight?  :ohmy:
We have a light sensitive auto door closer on our new setup, (had one at our last house too), but if we are around, still keep an eye on bedtime to make sure no stragglers get locked out.
When they first arrived the girls were tucking themselves up at about 7. The door closing about 10.
Now just a few weeks later, its interesting to note that their bedtime has slowly adjusted to fit with the timing of the door. Una and Lottie are always the last, and are now cutting it very fine indeed.  I'm sure they've made a game of it. Last minute limbo under the door as it comes down! :D
My friends hens have the guidance of a cockerel, whereas as we are girls only, so maybe it's just a case of them doing what they like when they like!? Girls will be girls!  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What time bedtime?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:17 »
Well both my little flocks have a cockerel, but are out until gone 9pm at the moment.  Mind you they are sleeping in late.  It is about 6-45 to 7am before you hear anything  :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:24 »
They are up early as well!  Not sure what time the door opens, but I did see them all up and busy with the day at 5 am one day last week.
Would love to know what influences them.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:31 »
Depends on the weather with mine.  Yesterday as they were confined to the run in the afternoon due to the heavy rain, they were in bed by 8.  But otherwise they can still be roaming around in the garden till after 9.  One has to wait for me to see her in, otherwise she sits on,the doorstep and waits!  However, they always let me know that they are ready to get out in the morning by 5.45am.  Almost to the minute every morning they start whining and cackling and stomping up and down the henhouse desperate to be free! Don't you just love 'em.  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44 »
Would love to know what influences them.

If Una and Lottie arrived a bit later than everyone else, they may be still finding their place in the group.  I have always noticed any newbies hang back until last.

Getting up, there is a strict priority order with my lot, especially the big gang.  Beyonce is first, but Millie will dash out ahead of her given half the chance.  She is told off for it, but doesn't give a monkeys and still does it.

The boys always want to be last in.  This works well for Foggy, but Alphie often has to give up and go first.  He is standing by the door literally nodding off on his feet, while his 2 girls are still intent on the feeder or preening  :lol:

Don't you just love 'em.  :D

Yup  :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 08:57 »
Lottie and Una are definitely the lower ranking members of the flock, so I think enjoy having the luxury of the whole run to themselves.  It's hard to say who goes first really. It's not straightforward.  Lots of going in, coming out, standing blocking the door, queuing and dawdling on the ladder, etc. Think Lottie and Una are quite sensible really. Stay clear of all the nonsense and wander in when the coast is clear.
No idea who gets up first because they are all up well before me! Little delicate dainty Katie seems to be head chook. No fighting to stake her claim, but lots of rushing up and staring down, though she has to stand on tiptoes to do it!
Poor Alfie! It's a hard life!

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 21:58 »
My new Speckled hen goes to bed at about 8pm, in the dog cage, in our conservatory, two reasons for this to protect from the fox and to protect her from my older hen :(, who lives down the garden. She does not have to be prompted, she just goes in and settles down very quietly. I have the radio playing softly too.

She is a sweet little hen and started laying about a week ago, 7 eggs and counting. I cover the cage with an old bed spread, then at night cover it at the front as well like we did with a budgie, then take the front cover off about 6.30 each morning. She usually roams round the garden for an hour then goes back in the cage and lays me a egg whilst I am getting washed and shaved. Good system I hope she keeps the same timing :)

My older hen is released into the run at about 7 and stays there till lunch. Speccy is put into her day run at about 8 then both are let out into the garden till dusk

Someday Hen the older one will share her coop 8)
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

xx
bedtime

Started by bowler on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 12:55
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Bedtime routine?

Started by Caramelle on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 13:55
by SMS6
xx
Ducks bedtime

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 17:35
by Springlands
xx
Finally they master bedtime

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 21:45
by BobE

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 41 queries.