Greenhouse glass prices

• 4 Replies

chopkins1313

Greenhouse glass prices
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:56 »
Hi all,

I've just got my hands on a second hand greenhouse (8'x6') which only has about 20 panes intact so am going to need to source some new glass.

I wondered what prices everyone else had been quoted for standard 2'x2' panes? and where they'd got them from? My local allotment site shop sells them for £3.25 each but I think this is quite steep? I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne.

It'd be great to get a feel for how much everyone else pays and where they get them from.

Cheers,

Chris

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Greenhouse glass prices
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 14:00 »
That is probably a ball park figure, I looked around for damaged greenhouses in gardens and offered to take them away for the spare glass. Check freecycle and supermarket etc for any other greenhouses going. The other option as I did with one of them is site it so one side is not on the sunny side and fill that with ply painted white.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

chopkins1313

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 16:03 »
Hi aidy, good idea on the painted ply - though would this not end up costing almost as much as the glass?

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:07 »
Our local glazier charges £4 for a panel of greenhouse glass...I thought it quite reasonable as I was given the greenhouse and only need to replace 10 panels...£40 for a greenhouse is a bargain I think!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:59 »
Hi aidy, good idea on the painted ply - though would this not end up costing almost as much as the glass?
Not really, again you dont need the expensive stuff, and again skip hop, there are loads of builders throwing the stuff out, timber merchants do the thinner stuff really cheap, my local will do 6mm thick 8x4 sheets for £13, that will pretty much do one side of a 8x6 greenhouse and of course it will never break.
You could also use this, as it covers big areas quickly.... http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clear-PVCu-Corrugated-Sheet/invt/240152 just silicon it to the frame.

xx
greenhouse glass help

Started by pvc on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 22:57
by pvc
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by adal on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:37
by Livinhope
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by cc on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2017, 11:19
by cc
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.