Taking it easy

• 8 Replies

celeriac

Taking it easy
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:50 »
This year, work and childcare commitments will mean that I'm able to spend far less time on the plot than previous (and I was barely keeping up then!). This might change in future years so I'm keen to keep my allotment but don't want to waste space that someone else could use so I'm trying to think how I can fill my beds with productive but low maintenance plants. I have six beds in total and my major issue is slugs my current plan is:

2 x strawberry beds, I currently have one, very productive and low maintenance with plenty of runners that I potted up last year so easy to fill two. Lots of work at harvest time but this is one job I know my children are willing to help with :-).
2 x potato beds
1 x beans, seem to grow well when the slugs don't get them but I do have to hoe/weed around them, any advice?
1x green manure in the spring and then think about what to do later.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Taking it easy
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 10:59 »
I'd cover any unused beds with a decent quality weed control fabric (the really cheap ones shred within a few months :() and plant a few of the more rampant squash/pumpkins plants. They will quickly cover the bed and nobody will notice you are growing less  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 11:06 »
I agree about investing in some fabric - I had a year like that, and covered some parts of the plot as suggested.  It meant that I didn't have to worry on keeping on top of the weeds in that bed and could make the most of the time I had available.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 16:08 »
Completely agree. A weed suppressant membrane such as Yuzet will work.

Cut a few carefully thought out spaced holes in it for squash/pumpkins. Use of a soldering iron is recommended to avoid fraying. In future years when you have a bit more time available you could add a few more holes and grow potatoes through it as kids enjoy digging these up. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 16:50 »
I'd cover any unused beds with a decent quality weed control fabric (the really cheap ones shred within a few months :() and plant a few of the more rampant squash/pumpkins plants. They will quickly cover the bed and nobody will notice you are growing less  :lol:

You can plant Tromboncino and a winter squash if you want something you can harvest summer and fall.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 00:33 »
For ground coverage and weed supression Shark Fin Melon could be a good option, it's rampant, low maintenance and looks like you're actively trying to grow a useful crop.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:35 »
Last year, after the beans had finished, I followed Mum's trick called 'chop and drop', took the canes out and left everything to smother their bed! It's all rotted down very nicely, and just needs a quick turn with a fork!

But..., an old boy who had a plot next to us, used to grow his runners along the ground, not up poles! He said they grew better that way, and although the beans all twisted and turned, he always got a fantastic crop!

So..., what about that as a combination? Plenty of growth, a low crop, lots of stuff to smother the weeds, and a dose of nitrogen for next year!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 07:10 »
For ground coverage and weed supression Shark Fin Melon could be a good option, it's rampant, low maintenance and looks like you're actively trying to grow a useful crop.

Do you know of any reputable UK suppliers of these seeds? I'm concerned that the ones from ebay etc probably are imported illegally... I know the lady who grows these on our site buys them from China. 

celeriac

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 08:05 »
Some great things to think about thankyou, never heard of Shark fin melon, but looks like a good call. I shall have to do a little searching.

xx
Is it really this easy ?

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 22:21
by MrsMak
xx
Easy cloches

Started by TonyB. on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 23, 2020, 17:09
by TonyB.
xx
Easy crops!

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 20:08
by Give it a go
xx
Easy PEAsy

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 21:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 39 queries.