Hay V Straw

• 3 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Hay V Straw
« on: September 09, 2011, 16:11 »
Which should I use in winter in my hen house to keep them warmer. I keep reading you shouldn't use hay. something to do with mould spores? Also I want to spread something over their run which is on grass about, 6' x 6', which would be best, hay or straw.
 This is just so when we go away for a couple of nights in Oct. I want to make sure they aren't treading in their own poo too much :blush: and thought it might be nice for them to have a scrat about in it for something to do, as they won't be allowed out. they usually free range in the garden all day. It will all be safe and secure so they can go in and out of their house when they want and my son is going to pop in 1/2 way through to check they have still got plenty of food and water. I'm leaving them with a huge food hopper filled to the top. It would take 2 weeks I'm sure for them, 4 bantys, to get through it. Plus I'll leave 2 water hoppers filled for them.
So which is best hay or straw, or hay for one and straw for the other????
Oh also is there one of the straws I shouldn't use? Is it barley straw or doesn't it really matter. which do any of you find to be the softest?
Sorry for all the questions. Must get it right though for them  :D

Casey76

Re: Hay V Straw
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 16:32 »
Hay is fodder, straw is bedding.

Don't put straw on the ground outside.  it gets damp and is a breeding ground for all kinds of nasties.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 18:54 »
or try hemcore which smells nice keeps clean and the chickens love it
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

evie2

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 21:36 »
when we had the really bad weather I put a bale of tied hay in the coop to take up some room but use Bliss on the floor :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
straw in the run ???

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 21:46
by Hennery
xx
straw

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 19:22
by slowef
xx
Hay or straw?

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 19:12
by Catsmuvva
xx
Hay or Straw

Started by derekwendy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 16:10
by beulah59

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.