Help with raspberries

• 3 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Help with raspberries
« on: September 24, 2010, 19:44 »
Hope someone can help me decide if I have Summer or Autumn raspberries.

We moved into our house in April and inherited som nice raspberry canes. Thing is that I'm not sure what type they are (summer or Autumn). I know it should be easy, but they started to fruit in early August (not many though) and have continued to increase in fruit to give us a very good crop over the last three weeks or so and continue, but look to be slowing down as days get a bit colder. I would have thought that if they were Autumn type they would only just be starting now and if summer they would be finished.

I want to know how to cut back and I understand it varies depending upon type. So I don't want to cut all the canes down if they are summer type. Some more information is that when we came in April there were not any canes tied up, but there was some low growth of the canes that are now full height and producing.

Another complication may be that the previous owners may not have pruned back correctly and we ended up getting two crops or maybe we have two types in the one plot!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Help with raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 19:52 »
Autumn ones will fruit from around August onwards and pack in about now.

The big give away is that they fruited on the canes that grew this year. This being the case you can cut all the canes back come early winter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 20:04 »
Many thanks DD for the quick answer. I'm now sure it's the Autumn ones, so I'll cut all back canes later. It just seemed to me we were just entering Autumn, so that's why I was confused a bit. The raspberries are great though  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:14 »
If you only cut back canes that have the remains of the core that the fruit was picked from you can't go far wrong - that will work for Summer and Autumn fruiting varieties.

If the bed is completely bare at the end of the operation yours are Autumn fruiting :) but not impossible that you have a mix that have intermingled over time.

xx
Raspberries

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 12:34
by DD.
xx
Raspberries

Started by Shrugg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 26, 2021, 15:00
by Growster...
xx
raspberries

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 20:50
by digalotty
xx
Raspberries

Started by mrs_armitage on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 05:19
by DD.

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.