Glazing for Greenhouse problems.

• 13 Replies

Missie

Glazing for Greenhouse problems.
« on: May 12, 2010, 22:42 »
Hello,I was very lucky to collect an 8' x 6' greenhouse off of the free pages and it has been put up,looks great,however,I need 20 panes of glass for it,ok,the local glaziers would charge £106.00 for all the pieces,I have browsed other websites and it is about the same for polycarbonate.

I am not rockerfella,very poor actually! I just find this really expensive,I have pondered with the idea to have the lower section made from T&G only hubby does have some and then glaze the top.I am sure I have seen greenhouses like this from yesteryear!

Would this be a problem regards lighting etc,my first time you see,I do wish to put my tomatoes in there!

Any other idea's?, and advice would be so appreciated!

compostqueen

Re: Glazing for Greenhouse problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 23:03 »
One of mine is half timber and half glass and I raise tonnes of stuff in it. 

I just had two old delapidated greenhouses reglazed and it's not cheap. The glass supplier fitted it all thank goodness and it cost me about £150 plus VAT for two glass houses.  It took him a long time but it's a dangerous job for an amateur. They use those glass sucker things which makes it much safer. 

Noddymac

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35 »
Hi - you could go T & G on bottom level but have you tried shopping around - I think horticultural glass is cheaper or was that what you were quoted for?   What about plastic sheeting if no money - it still lets in light etc but keeps elements out although it wouldnt last long.   My greenhouse is a few years old now but I personally wouldnt want t&G any higher than first level of glass as it would cut out too much light.   Hope this helps!

savbo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 18:36 »
I managed to get 2 batches of greenhouse glass off Freegle...about 50 panes of various sizes.

worth watching for it or asking as sometimes people upgrade from glass to plastic if they have child safety concerns.

also bear in mind that as long as it's the right width you can mix and match heights with a bit of ingenuity. And watch out for anyone making a car porch with twinwall polycarbonate, thier offcuts might be just the thing!

M

Missie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 21:57 »
Thank you so much for your tips and advice,I believe we are going to have the first  pane height with wood and glaze or poly the rest so at least we would be over half way to having our first real greenhouse  :happy:

Unfortunately so much of the glass was broken in transit,but it is all mixed,the glass we do have which is on the roof is a mix of 4mm and 6mm though we were advised it should be 3mm?! :ohmy:

It may seem silly,but I am so excited,we have a small poly tunnel 12 x 6 bought from the bay for £70.00 + p&p last year.Well I have to say it is brilliant,it is not the green flimsy looking things,it was not anchored down throughout the winter and it has been excellent.it is really very good quality with a really strong frame.However,it is just not large enough :(

This was our best purchase of last year and has been fantastic for raising all last years seeds!

ciderman

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 22:35 »
hi missie i can let u have some panes of 4mm glass if u r not too far from doncaster ok ciderman

Missie

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 14:43 »
Hi Ciderman,

Well thank you very much for your kind offer but we are quite some way from you,we are PE8 nr Oundle,I doubt it would be cost effective to make the journey.

We have put wood half way around and looks really nice so now we just need 8 sheets.The horti glass here is expensive @ £6.17p per 24 x 23 " sheet,we have looked on the bay and they are selling 2mm acrylic for less.

I am unsure if 2mm would suffice? but seems to be the most economical option.

ciderman

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 13:19 »
 hi missie try c and c plastics thats where we used 2 buy all 4mm sheets from 4m then cut 2 size  ciderman

Missie

I would just like to Thank everyone for their input,you have been so helpful.

We decided to use feather edge! to the sides and we are now waiting for 5 sheets of polycarbonate to arrive,then it is finished and ready! I am really pleased with how it has turned out! I have added a picture :)
greenhouse1.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 09:29 »
looks a good job :)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12 »
nice job, what is the base its stood on?
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Missie

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 14:30 »
nice job, what is the base its stood on?

Hi,it is anchored in with corner brackets,sat on bricks underneath,well flush to the ground.inside started with earthen floor though has ground cover and a raised catwalk through the centre.

stompy

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 14:37 »
Hey Missie,
I've got horti glass but im thinking of converting to pollicarb twin skin stuff myslf.
All the guys on our site with the pollicarb didn't lose a thing in the frosts, but everyone else and i mean everyone else lost most of their toms cue's an other tenders in their greenhouses.
And it helps shade the GH in mid summer  8)

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 20:35 »
It looks fab. My dad had a wooden greenhouse years ago and that came with t and g about a third of the way up the walls. It was in a very sunny spot. He grew loads of tomatoes in it and trained a grape vine inside it to cover some of the roof. Delicious. I'm sure you'll have no probs with light.
S.i.t.g.

xx
Greenhouse glazing

Started by supervegman on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 21:28
by Stree
xx
Greenhouse glazing help

Started by Slugmonster on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 15:26
by Hillbillypop
xx
ok am glazing the greenhouse myself

Started by Gleavo on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 16:50
by savbo
xx
Greenhouse Glazing Strip

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 22:13
by peterjf

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.