Christmas is coming. Help needed!

• 10 Replies

niknik

« on: October 11, 2008, 21:47 »
I have a electric steamer and was thinking about cooking Christmas puds on it.  However, I have lost the recipe book for my steamer, has anyone steamed their puds in an electric steamer and could let me know how long it takes, and maybe a recipe.  Last year we produced all home made Christmas pressies (mostly alcohol) and I was thinking of cakes and puds this year.
Any good ideas greatfully received.

Poolfield2

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 23:13 »
I make Christmas puds to sell as a charity fund raiser and have found the following recipe well accepted:

1 1/2 lbs mixed dried fruit
3 fl oz ale/beer
rind juice 1 lemon
8 oz brown sugar
6 oz butter
8 oz fresh bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Soak fruit in juice, rind and ale overnight. Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs, stir in everything else.

Makes 2.5 pints

I make 2 x recipe at once and steam them in an old Baby Belling boiler but as long as they fit in your electric steamer I don't see a problem. I steam small ones gently for about 4 hours, they get darker, the longer they steam.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:57 »
i plan on doing these as presents - individual size cakes are more appropriate for my audience.

http://happyfrugalchristmas.blogspot.com/2007/12/mini-Christmas-cakes-recipe.html

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:59 »
I also do mini Christmas cakes as gifts and inspired by one  I saw in a NTrust shop, I make an 8" sqaure cake and then cut it in half, then make 4 mini loaf tin shaped cakes from each (8 in all from one cake). I marzipan and ice the top and wrap in cellophane. They are great for people that live alone cos they don't go on for ever, don't cost much and are not much hassle to make.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:11 »
That's a great way to do small Christmas cakes.  I wanted to do some for a church thing but could not bring myself to but lots of small tins.  That will be just the job for me.   :rendeer:

Oscar Too

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08 »
I'm getting all inspired!!

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 22:45 »
Quote from: "Debz"
That's a great way to do small Christmas cakes.  I wanted to do some for a church thing but could not bring myself to but lots of small tins.  That will be just the job for me.   :rendeer:

I've made them in baked bean tins and halved them through the middle, or small evaporated milk tins do just as well - the mini tins are really expensive - they just don't take as long to cook, don't think i bothered to line them either, just greased them really well

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:29 »
silly thing is we don't use tins that often here!  :roll: so i'm still waiting to collect 2 - thats all i need but we haven't used 1 yet since i took the last lot of recycling!!

my step dad might have a small one of beans if mum is out but thats about once a month at most, and the only other time is normally tinned pineapple when mum cooks gammon but again thats so rare.

oh well there's still time....

how long before did you make them janey?

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 00:39 »
Sorry  :oops: if anyone has copied the recipe down, I got in a muddle reducing the quantities to a sensible size. I have ammended the recipe after a kind forum member pointed out that there was no butter listed.

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 16:47 »
I'm going to try this recipe but want to make some smaller puds, say 4 person size that I can gift wrap and give to give as gifts.

What would you suggest I use for smaller sized puds?  I have plenty of pudding basins but not sure what I can use for smaller ones.   :?
Are we nearly there yet?

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:56 »
I suppose ramekin dishes would work. You can buy plastic pots right down to 1/4 pint. (Bite size :lol: )

xx
ok...daft questions coming up....

Started by Piccolo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 21:06
by Piccolo
xx
Christmas Pie recipe anyone?

Started by Plottered on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 11:19
by Plottered
xx
Christmas cake - 3rd dry run.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 12:21
by mrs bouquet
xx
Christmas muffins

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 16:05
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.