Ants nesting in my tomato polytunnel

• 3 Replies

mabel

• Experienced Member
« on: March 17, 2008, 16:50 »
I have planted my tomatoes in bottomless buckets (courtesy of ASDA before I came here) in my polytunnel, filled up with compost,  as the ground is clay and with the rain we have had over the winter I think they would have drowned otherwise.  Problem is that the ants have decided to make a nest in one of them.  They have laid eggs and are tending them ever so carefully.  I dug out the eggs and chucked them over the garden but the ants are still there.  Question is do I just leave them to get on with it as they are only in one of the buckets and I could sacrifice that plant or try and get rid, but dont really know how.  Any help appreciated.

gobs

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 20:24 »
Not good to have ants on plants. I would repot that one into something else losing the ants altogether and put boiling water through the old pot of compost, all this outside of tunnel.

They would spread you see and would spread the aphids, who spread disease... :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mabel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 20:35 »
OK thanks for that.  I'll have a go at it tomorrow.  Not seen any aphids as yet but best not to wait for them I think.  They certainly fine up the compost though.  You could grow wonderful carrots in it.
 :o

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 22:53 »
Sadly, not all plants enjoy an anthill under their roots.  Also the little devils spread frighteningly fast - if they come back from the boiling, I'd break out the pyrethrum dust!

xx
Ants Nest in Polytunnel

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 23:59
by viettaclark
xx
Tomato support in a polytunnel

Started by Poolfield2 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 23:47
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Nesting box

Started by New Kid On The Plot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 16:04
by ex-cavator
question
red ants

Started by cas1954 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 21:15
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 33 queries.