• 9 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
Things never quite turn out as planned
« on: May 12, 2008, 20:01 »
Hi
Just had to tell someone  :wink: .
A quick potted history:
Got 2 light sussex bantams - one turned broody (Princess Snow White) so I bought some Australorp Bantam eggs for her (posted  :? ) then Chuckles decided to join her in the nest box.  I let them share broody duties and they both sat very diligently in the nest box but the eggs turned out to be duds (could be the sharing thing?).
Anyway as they had sat for so long I couldn't bare to just kick them off the nest and say "thats it girls" so I decided to buy some day olds.  I found some (and only took enough money for 4 thank god!) near by and introduced them saturday evening.
I couldn't choose between the broodies so took the risk on them sharing the duties once more and

mums and babies doing very well!  :D  :D  :D

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 20:06 »
What a lovely picture and they all look so happy too. Well done for getting the day olds.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 20:37 »
Beaut a result !! and don't they look a happy bunch  :D  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 20:40 »
awwwwwwwso sweet they look great

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 21:41 »
how wonderful, its great to see that they havent sat all that time for no chicks

keep us updated on how they are doing.

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 21:59 »
Thanks folkes, it took lots of takes to get that photo and it still doesn't really do them justice but I knew I had to provide a photo!  :lol:  :wink:
It has been quite a stressful time (my first time at trying to hatch and then introduce chicks) but all worth it when I see them pottering around together in the sun both mums taking their job very seriously!
Just so you know the black chicks are black rocks and the other two are unknowns but a pure breed so any suggestions welcome. (the guy seemed to think they could be vorwerks?)
Thanks again
I saves me boring my friends about it.  :D

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 22:04 »
Was it easy to get them to accept the day old chicks? I think that my broody was off the eggs for too long yesterday so I expect the eggs will be a gonna. I think that what you did was a great solution. They are really cute :)  :)

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 22:29 »
I read up about it (just articles on the internet) and this is how I did it.
After getting the chicks put them near to the nest box but out of sight for atleast 2 hours (to get them to believe the eggs are ready to hatch).  Mine had already sat for atleast 3 weeks, one had sat for 4 weeks. In the evening after dark slip one chick under her (covering it with your hand as the broody is likely to be very protective at this point) and at the same time remove an egg.  Once all done leave them alone til the next day (or if your like me you'll sit outside the coop and worry  :lol: )  Then after much stress hopefully the broody will accept them!
As I say I'm no expert - this it all first time stuff but I'm really glad I got the day olds (although I think they were actually about 5 days old) its well worth it.

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 22:42 »
Thanks for that, you have saved me having to do the work on the internet. I'm still hoping that the eggs are still fertile but as a first timer with a broody I messed up. I had her for one night on the eggs in her lovely new broody box but I hadn't put the run on and she transfered herself back to the empty nest box while I was out. :cry:

Jellyhead

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:45 »
Aaah lovely outcome Nessy. You are very lucky though, I have tried introducing before and it hasn't worked :( mind you it could well have been rejects, so perhaps the surrogate mummies also picked up problems with the chicks). Anyway, I am glad it worked out and because of this I shall try again if needs be :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
Planned Electricity Maintainance

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 19:56
by ehs284
xx
Rescue planned in Brighton

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 10:22
by Kym503
xx
Planned Electric Fence

Started by Markw on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 07:59
by Markw
xx
Guess it's my turn for red mite!

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 22:44
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 36 queries.