Grumpy chooks

• 7 Replies

kittyb

Grumpy chooks
« on: December 30, 2009, 21:37 »
Just here to moan.I have kept my birds in for the past couple of days as the weather a bit unkind with freezing rain etc and Sprinkle has a cough developing and they don't think to take shelter.So how do I get repaid for the supply of nice tiddy bits to keep boredom away- NO EGGS! not one ::)
They are desperate to get outside,am I being unkind should I just let them get soggy?does anyone else keep theirs inside when weather is awful?

And does anyone have ideas on what to give a chook with a cough?

viettaclark

Re: Grumpy chooks
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 23:21 »
My girls have waded through floods and snow, skated on ice and squelched through mud and that's only in the last month! I let them out every day. If they don't like conditions they get in the coop and complain!
Regarding the cough....keep an eye on that. I haven't got personal experience of poultry coughs but another member may be able to advise you.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 00:59 »
My girls have waded through floods and snow, skated on ice and squelched through mud and that's only in the last month! I let them out every day. If they don't like conditions they get in the coop and complain!
Regarding the cough....keep an eye on that. I haven't got personal experience of poultry coughs but another member may be able to advise you.

Yes agree there's no need to mollycoddle them.  Check out any that appear to be sneezing coughing or have runny noses, wheezing or rales (rattling or wheezy breathing) all of which can be a sign of respiratory disease (known as micoplasmosis. MG or Chronic Respiratory disease) and require antibiotic treatment.  don't ignore this as it can spread rapidly and cause chronic infections.

HF

Truth through science.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:42 »
i open the run gate most days, and leave the choice to them to come out or stay in.
they hate the rain and wind, so tend to stay in the run, or under the coop.

if i dont open the gate then they are really grumpy and verbal, if we have gone out for a day and left them in they are really bad the next day.

kittyb

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 19:53 »
Thanks for the replies all.I know I'm soft with them,can't bear to see them going mouldy from the rain cos they don't think to run inside.
I let the grumpy beggars out today as we were doing extention work on Chuckingham Palace,an enclosed run so they don't scrat up the snowdrops and narcissi as they are appearing.
All seemed a lot happier and sprinkles cough not apparent today,will keep a check on her.They have thouroughly enjoyed rootling through the leaf litter compost.
Maybe eggs tomorrow :unsure:

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 14:11 »
really grumpy today as we have had our first real fall of snow this morning, the gate is open, and they are sitting on the run doorway looking at it moaning and creating. lol

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 13:08 »
So how do I get repaid for the supply of nice tiddy bits to keep boredom away- NO EGGS! not one ::)
They are desperate to get outside,am I being unkind should I just let them get soggy?does anyone else keep theirs inside when weather is awful?

Agree with the other replies. We have had snow and freezing conditions for over 2 weeks now. I just carry on as usual apart from trying to keep their water liquid!!!

Will probably start laying as the days get longer in the next couple of months. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 13:40 »
I let mine out every morning, regardless, at around 7.30am, winter and summer. Some choose to stay in, others venture out, I just let them choose. As for eggs, last week I wasn't getting any at all, then 3, then 5, then yesterday...14. 

The days are already getting longer, instead of being in bed by 3.15, it is after 4 before they go back to bed.  YAY  SPRING IS COMING
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

xx
Grumpy hen

Started by Roba690 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 18:13
by jhub
xx
Grumpy committee

Started by sirgalahad on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 08:24
by Sassy
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Should I add to my chooks now?

Started by Touché Turtle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 20:31
by grinling

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.