BBQ at the allotment

• 7 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
BBQ at the allotment
« on: June 29, 2006, 12:47 »
Weather forecast for very good down here this weekend so we are going to cook at the plot and invite a few people over. (The ones who've helped in various ways.) I'm not worried about the meat side of things, but I would like some ideas as to what to make with 100% fresh vegetables.

I'm sure many have seen the River Cottage Risotto Episode but I'd like to do something original.

We've got Raddish, Lettuce, Onion, Peas, Broad Beans(small), Corgette, Chard, Spinach and new potatoes. (wow thats more than I thought).

In the garden I've got some globe artichokes but I'd really like to save them for me and the missus. Blackcurrents, Raspberries, Rhubarb and just about every herb I can think of.

I'm not averse to buying the odd extra ingredient, from the allotments or the market.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. :)
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
BBQ at the allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 13:12 »
Fine chop the onions, courgettes, and new potatoes, mix with the peas and broad beans, pop in some butter or olive oil and herbs to taste and cook, but not for too long, in foil parcels. Kind of like mini-parcels of mixed veg. They should steam in their own moisture. (afterthought; a cheese or a tomato-based sauce may go well with this too to dollop on afterwards and hold everything together).

Oliver

Re: BBQ at the allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 00:10 »
Quote from: "Jake"
Blackcurrents, Raspberries
This could make a fabulous summer pudding served with some creme fraiche or greek yoghurt (or double cream!).
she makes summer pudding with brioche rather than plain bread. Everyone LOVES it.
Try making a broad bean salad - lots of broad beans and peas - cooked until tender a few minutes at the most). Finely chop a small onion, a couple of courgettes and slice radish into thin rounds. Mix everything in a bowl with some vinagrette dressing.
OR Slice courgettes longways into 4 (should be about 6mm thick) Make a marinade out of oil and mango chutney. Coat courgette slices and leave to stand for couple of hours. On HOT fire cook a few minutes each side so that they are nice and brown.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Jake

• Rockers
BBQ at the allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:50 »
Thanks guys. Not sure what to go with, will make a spur of the moment decision.

If there are enough ingredients I'll do all of them :D

Oliver

BBQ at the allotment
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 16:30 »
Whatever you do Jake - have a lovely time - most of all enjoy your hard earned spoils!

Oliver

How did it go?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 23:51 »
Hello Jake, how did your party on the plot go? What did you make in the end?
I notice too that you are moving to a new part of the country - I hope very much that you can get a plot and that yo will continue to post things. However, you still have much of this season to crop and enjoy your stuff!
Oliver :)

Jake

• Rockers
BBQ at the allotment
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:51 »
Hi Oliver

Well, after getting the news that my wife got a new job and we're upping sticks as it were, all a bit of a shock, we decided to have a bbq and party at our house. The girls weren't keen on spending the afternoon in the sun, drinking without a wc on site. I did say they could use the compost pile but they weren't game :shock:

Anyway, pasta salad using my own onions and peas. A green salad using Spinach, Chard,Onion and fennel.

I really wanted to make the summer pudding but we had ice cream with summer fruits in the end(my blackcurrents, raspberries but bought strawberries and blueberries).

Bit of a cop out really but it was seriously hot up there when we went to harvest. Corgettes are about ready now too.

Oliver

bbq on the plot or not
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 13:16 »
thank you Jake for your reply. Glad to hear about your wife's success and hope you get a plot up there. That's one way to make J eat his weeds ...

Maybe you can try the summer pudding some other time!

Sensible girls - it is very hot at the moment.
She has a special shed on her plot in which she keeps all the plant pots and spare timber, with a bucket in it for compost activator ...) Very useful, she says

xx
Allotment pizzas

Started by Bohobumble on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 23:03
by compostqueen
thumbup
Allotment Soup

Started by JulieP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 17:54
by Christine
xx
Anybody have an allotment in Newbury?

Started by soaplady on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 20:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.