Cheesemaking

• 11 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cheesemaking
« on: June 21, 2006, 20:17 »
I've been playing around with the site again and opened a new section in Information for storing / making your own food. Anyway - reason for this is to let everyone know there's an interesting 3 part article on there from Katie Thear about making cheese.
Recipes continue in the recipe section, by the way.
Just out of interest, has anyone made their own cheese?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
Cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 21:01 »
No I haven't John but I would love to try making cheese.

Oliveview

Cheesemaking
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 21:38 »
does a 3 month old bottle of milk left in my brothers fridge count as cheese? :shock:

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
Cheesemaking
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 21:53 »
i used to make a basic curd cheese(paneer) while i was travelling in india, we used to make it with our leftover curd yoghurt that we made daily. very simple and delicious when there was no other cheese available.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cheesemaking
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 22:41 »
I've always fancied keeping a goat and I love goats cheese ... maybe one day.

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Cheesemaking
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 08:06 »
No, I haven't made cheese, made butter a few times.
Caroline

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cheesemaking
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:46 »
Thanks Tensing - you sparked me into an article about making butter at home, which I've popped online.
I was amazed when we did it how easy it was, although I thought we would need all sorts of special equipment I managed with nothing beyond what we already had in the kitchen.
Tasted good as well and we had a ton of cream at 5p per big tub so the butter cost us next to nothing.

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Cheesemaking
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 13:41 »
Then there is bread making of course, I mean if you've made cheese and butter you need bread to go with it.

Oliver

Cheesemaking
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 22:57 »
Quote from: "Tensing"
bread making
Some people say Soda Bread doesn't rate as bread, but she has a very good, dead easy recipe for soda bread - it looks fab too! I'll get her to post it up if anyone is interested. (Her other bread is a hazard to birds - makes them easy to catch - not that I catch birds, I hasten to add. More of a mouse man myself. Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

thunderflorrie

Cheesemaking
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 08:23 »
I make my own bread, butter and am at this moment waiting for my first cheese to ripen. I love and adore making food of all sorts. I make all my yoghurt as well and it's so much cheaper than shop brought stuff and so easy. I bought a butter churn on ebay and use that for the butter it took less than 5 mins to do, them wash it and leave it in muslin to dry then pat into shape, it's all good therapy :D  

When the kids lived at home I was in my element but now it's just Him and me I don't make the cake type stuff often and I miss it.
I even make and sell dog and horse treats, a local pet shop sells them for me.
I can put the recipe for a simple cheese on the site if your interested, just let me know.
Kind regards Thunderflorrie

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Cheesemaking
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 21:55 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
does a 3 month old bottle of milk left in my brothers fridge count as cheese? :shock:

Sour milk used to be quite popular didn't it?  Do they use sour milk to make sour cream????

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Cheesemaking
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 13:57 »
Did anyone watch the episode from A Year At Kew where they harvested their wheat field and made it into a loaf of bread? They joked that it was the most expensive loaf of bread ever since it cost Kew a fair amount to hire a combine harvester (just for looks for the kiddies!) and turning the field into a wheat field.
I didn't like that they went to all the effort of stonegrinding the wheat then just baked the bread in a breadmachine. I have a lovely "pizza stone" that I do all my bread baking on. It just stays on the bottom shelf of the oven and heats up along with the oven. I have a little wooden peel and everything. Means less cleaning up too since you can't use soap when cleaning the stone and it just naturally builds up a nice "seasoned" texture like a good cast iron pan does.
I'm still considering growing flax this autumn as a dual purpose green manure and fibre crop... or rotting down some nettles to use for liquid compost then using the fibre like you would flax. Oh boy that's very offtopic now. I'll try the cheese making someday when I don't have a teeny tiny fridge full of condiments and food.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.