Bedtime routine?

• 3 Replies

Caramelle

Bedtime routine?
« on: June 09, 2011, 16:28 »
Hello everyone,

I can't wait for our chooks to arrive on Sunday. The coop has arrived flat packed today, so can't wait for husband to build it tonight (and probably swearing the grass blue in the process, knowing his love for flat packs!!!!)

Anyway.. when I grew up on the farm I remember that our chickens always used to have their own special little mannerisms, and particularly when it comes to bed time.

Was hoping maybe you guys could share some of your stories? :-)

Lots of love from Northamptonshire!! X 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Bedtime routine?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 17:17 »
if there are any stragglers left out at bed time (chicks go first, then the tree dwellers and then the older girls) then my guinea fowl go round and round them up forcing them to go to bed  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 22:15 »
My 4 big girls go to bed first, one after the other between 8 and 8.30  ::)

The babies (5 chicks at 8 weeks old) Well, They party a little longer :nowink:
When you go near them they run to the other end of their run, (unless the door is open and they are quite happy to come right out to have a nosie) so my hubby used a soft brush to shoo them at first (was that or catcing and putting them in). Now when they see him coming with the brush they run for the hills  :lol: Straight to bed with a lot of cheeps  :tongue2:

SMS6

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 13:55 »
Well I haven't had mine a week yet but they seem to have got in to a routine already.

The largest one Bunty - the Marran - tried to sleep under the house bit the first night but we lifted her in to the coop and ever since she has just taken herself to bed before 8.30 pm.

I go down at that time and entice Babs & Ginger  into the small run  with a handful of corn or some other treat and I shut the door of that small pen.  Bunty doesn't even bother to come back out for treats now.

I go out again about an hour later and they've both usually gone up into the coop to join Bunty - Ginger is usually the last to go up.   I then close up the coop door and take out any feeders, water etc.   Ready to clean out and fill for the morning.

xx
bedtime

Started by bowler on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 12:55
by themagicaltoad1
xx
What time bedtime?

Started by Flowerpower136 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 21:58
by danfinn1
xx
Ducks bedtime

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 17:35
by Springlands
xx
Finally they master bedtime

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 21:45
by BobE

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 39 queries.