Really in need of some advice

• 5 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« on: April 07, 2008, 15:59 »
I have a problem that i hope someone can help me with.

I got a light sussex hen a couple of days ago that was supposed to be showing signs of being broody. I thought that it would be a good idea to have a go at hatching some eggs as it is something i have wanted to do for some time.

Initially i put her in her own accommodation with a nest and some eggs but she was up and down like a yo,yo so i thought that this broodiness was a false alarm. I then put her into the pen with the other chooks so they could start to get to know each other.

Well, this hen is very unsettled and it seems to be getting worse. I cannot get within 6 ft of her without her going mental! She flys about the place bashing into things and making a hell of a noise. I have tried sitting quietly so she can get used to me but she will not settle while i am there.

I thought that when a hen is broody she will sit fast on the nest, she jumps straight off and gets in a panic - she does however jump straight back on when i have gone.

This was not how i thought a broody was going to be!! (what happened to gentle affable rosey!!)

My dilema now is, should i,
1 Put her in her own accommodation with a nest of fertile eggs and let nature take its course ( is this broodiness or a really bad new chook on the block syndrome?)
2. Leave her where she is with fertile eggs and hope she settles in (nesting boxes high up and so not suitable for chicks)
3. Seperate her with no nest and eggs and hope broodiness goes off (if thats what it is)

I really dont know what to do and i am worried that i am not doing right by the hen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 16:16 »
if she's new to the flock, then she will need sepaerating for a bit, that on top of wanting to have babies.... sounds like the little lady doesnt know if she's coming or going.

give her a chance to settle on her own, maybe give her a few fake eggs or golf balls and see how she goes.

if she does start to really sit tight you can then swap them for fertile eggs.

im sure she'll be absolutely fine.

just make sure she's eating drinking and pooping well.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 16:19 »
So the hallmark of proper broody is not wanting to leave the nest??

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 16:27 »
Quote from: "bedifferent"
So the hallmark of proper broody is not wanting to leave the nest??

some wont even get off to poo, unless you use a crowbar. others will get off once aday for a wander.

there's no set rules, and their first time can be a bit hit and miss.

some will let you have a look, others may be your friendliest chook, but can peck your face off if she's broody.

at the end of the day, she'll do what ever she likes, you have nooooo say what so ever

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 16:53 »
And a broody chook will growl at you if you try to disturb her  :roll:  and will sit like a feather pancake  :lol:

Jellyhead

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 17:42 »
I have also noticed that if you put an egg in front of a broody she will definitely pull it under her so she can sit on it. Non broodies arent normally so interested  :? Also as Aunt Sally says, they growl and fluff up when you go near them altho one of my young ones is doing exactly as yours Bediff but more and more she is not wanting to leave the nest and is growling at me  when I go near her :x
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
What advice???

Started by MY-Five-gals on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 09:08
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Advice Please....

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 20:56
by lukasmum
xx
Help......Any advice please

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:11
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 35 queries.