hardwood chippings - where can you buy it?

• 16 Replies

rosie14

hardwood chippings - where can you buy it?
« on: July 07, 2012, 19:15 »
We are now thinking about hard wood chippings for the chickens run this winter with some hardstanding (paving slabs) at either end. The trouble is we don't know where to source it! We are in Kent. thanks

8doubles

Re: hardwood chippings - where can you buy it?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 19:53 »
Your friendly local tree surgeon is a good bet. They keep the good burning wood and chip the branches so have lots to dispose of.

Make sure it is a non toxic hardwood as some species can be quite nasty .

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 19:57 »
Anywhere like b&q would stock it too.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 20:12 »
Hardwood chippings might be difficult whilst you will source, quite easily, softwood shavings such as Bedmax. People use this sort of thing for horses (obviously), chickens, pheasant poults etc...

Cheaper unbranded and just as good alternatives are available. :)

Equestrian outlets, agricultural merchants, farm shops....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 20:56 »
thanks all :) my husband just pointed out what about red mite and hard wood - would this be considered a problem?

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 21:26 »
I have read about putting pea shingle down instead (have not tryed it thought it my be to hard for their feet) you can get it from any builders merchants and can be washed and put back down. if you try it let me know  :)
Pull up a perch!!

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 21:38 »
lol how about you try it and let ME know  :D

DoubleDigger

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 22:46 »
Have tried the 'gravel' thing......the "wash it clean" idea.  I didn't think that one through.  Equate volume of 'dung / smell / weight dry, weight wet / space needed to move muck gravel to / means of drawing of muck / water.....I won't go on. 

Wood chips - soft or hard, have a dubious press.....they don't compost very well & you can get trouble, ie. chicken health trouble with fungal spores. 

I now use, following trial & error, baled, chopped "Rape" straw....it has Eucalyptus in it.  The main 'plus point' from my point of view is that, because it is just dried crushed & chopped brassica stems,  it composts easily & quickly - particularly when mixed with chicken manure.  I don't use the one with wheat straw blended in as that does not compost as well.  It does not like being very wet for very long, so does have to be cleaned up more regularly than some substrates when really wet/mucky, but it is cheap & easily available from Agricultural Suppliers & Equestrian Outlets.   It will 'dry out' given the chance.     

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 22:55 »
I use miscanthus in the chicken runs. It costs just over £6 a bale and will last a long time.

splash101

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 23:57 »
i too tried the gravel - epic failure! All of the reasons below and alo as the chicken poop on it then walk it all in, when you try to poop pick, you are picking up a giant ball of poop and shingle. It did wash down very well but then we were left with stagnant water

i really want to try miscanthus but i am struggling to find anywhere around here that supplies it

rosie14

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 17:32 »
I use miscanthus in the chicken runs. It costs just over £6 a bale and will last a long time.

thanks all we tried the pebbles option...nightmare still digging it up from the veg patch!  :(

Jak this stuff looks great but we suffer from a muddy run when wet and we have now almost out of compost area! This is really absorbant so heavy? How often do you replace it. I suppose I am looking for something that will not create alot of smell, something that I do not replace often (because getting rid of it is a problem we have a small urban garden) but keeps our few ladies comfy over wetter months (maybe I should write all year with our weather!)

Our run is approx 20 foot long x 4 foot in width. With both ends only partially covered,. I am trying to get my hubby to put some extra plastic roofing panels up for winter. We have one hen and 3 chicks just now we will have 3 hens max really 4 if we go down the bantam route if our current chicks are cocks!

Anyones thoughts welcome

jhub

• jane
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 18:40 »
I use hardwood chips in a covered run and they don't seem prone to mould. I replace twice a year and use the old ones as a mulch for the  flower beds.
My local  B&Q superstore has stopped stocking them is need to find a new supplier.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 19:06 »
Where abouts in Kent Rosie? We have speedgate down the road and I get 2 bags of comfibed which is small wood chips for £12 I only used 1 bag as it overed a huge area. Will use the other bag in a month or two to top it up. Really helped stop the mud today!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

rosie14

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 20:21 »
Our local B&Q have stopped stocking also. I am more SE Kent closest to Ashford. Speedgate isn't that Bexley way ish? I remember my friend from Bexley Heath working there a decade or 2 ago lol!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 20:45 »
it is in Longfield not far from Dartford.
Do you have a local horse riding suppliers that does horse bedding as cosibed is a horse bedding. brilliant stuff, soaked up all the water and reduces smell ;)

xx
Hardwood Chip suppliers?

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2022, 12:41
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Mouldy hardwood chips?

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 19:14
by power_of_p3
xx
Softwood or hardwood chips

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2021, 19:31
by 8doubles
xx
Bark, wood chips - softwood/hardwood??

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 10:10
by jhub

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.