Electric propogator advice

• 13 Replies

mashauk

« on: January 12, 2008, 16:29 »
I am just about to start some pepper seeds off in my propogator, first time I've used it.  The instructions say to either sew direct into compost which has been filled into the propogator base or to cover the bottom of the tray with horticultural or sharp sand and then put the seed tray on top.  I haven't got any sand, do you think it's OK to put the seed tray straight in without the layer of compost on the base, or should I get some sand or am I being a complete idiot - will the seed tray melt or something if I put it straight in?

Thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 16:32 »
It's not going to get that hot, or you would cook the seeds if you sowed into it directly.

I'm sure a bit of compost, then the seed tray would not come amiss.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mashauk

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 16:35 »
Quote from: "DD."
It's not going to get that hot, or you would cook the seeds if you sowed into it directly.

I'm sure a bit of compost, then the seed tray would not come amiss.

Thanks, I just didn't understand why I'd put compost in the base as well as in the seed trays!

mashauk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 18:31 »
OH is insisting we put a layer of newspaper instead of compost on the base, then paper pots instead of a seed tray so we don't have to transplant, I suppose it makes sense (so long as he makes the pots, I can't work them out)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 19:48 »
You need something there to absorb the excess water from watering your seed[ling]s. I dont think newspaper would be enough.  I use sand in mine about 2" deep.

mashauk

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 20:26 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You need something there to absorb the excess water from watering your seed[ling]s. I dont think newspaper would be enough.  I use sand in mine about 2" deep.

Thanks, I haven't got any sand but will use compost (as per the instructions!), he hates it when I'm right :lol: He's sitting here as we speak making up paper pots, bless.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 20:56 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Thanks, I haven't got any sand but will use compost (as per the instructions!), he hates it when I'm right :lol: He's sitting here as we speak making up paper pots, bless.

I'm going to make some of Richy's deep paper pots for my sweetcorn, runner beans and broad beans this year.  I'll put the sweetcorn in the propagator to get it started.

mashauk

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 16:11 »
Well I've started some paper pots with Red Marconi, Habanero and cauliflowers off today in the propagator, trouble is I could do with about another 3 of the things!  Luckily I have a couple of old fish tanks that I can use for unheated ones too, I have them on the flat roof which is a sun trap.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 17:44 »
they tend to work better with a bit of sand in them, otherwise the heating cables can produce hotspots in the trays. The sand evenly distributes the heat. If you've already put some pots in, don't worry too much about it, you can put some sand in still. :D

mashauk

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 18:05 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
they tend to work better with a bit of sand in them, otherwise the heating cables can produce hotspots in the trays. The sand evenly distributes the heat. If you've already put some pots in, don't worry too much about it, you can put some sand in still. :D

Thanks.  The instructions said to put either compost or sand in the bottom, I didn't have any sand so I've put about an inch of compost in it, under the pots.

lowermeadow

• New Gardener - Raised Beds, Greenhouse, Borders
Re: Electric propogator advice
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23 »
I've used a heated propogator for the first time and have had good germination rates. The resulting seedlings are very leggy! Once the seeds have germinated, when should I move them off the heated propogator?

This is my 2nd year gardening so I'm still a newbie.
There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. – Janet Kilburn Phillips.

Pescador

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 08:48 »
Pretty much immediately.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 12:31 »
Good morning Aunt Sally
"I'm going to make some of Richy's deep paper pots for my sweetcorn, runner beans and broad beans this year.  I'll put the sweetcorn in the propagator to get it started".

I've had my sweetcorn in the propagator and up to now only one is showing its head!  (I hope they are all right down there).  Cheers,  Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

lowermeadow

• New Gardener - Raised Beds, Greenhouse, Borders
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 06:56 »
Many thanks, I will do that next time. I'm a little overrun by leggy seedlings!

xx
Electric propogator

Started by rogertb on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2019, 13:28
by rogertb
xx
electric propagators

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post December 26, 2016, 18:33
by Paul Plots
thumbup
Electric chainsaw

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 20:16
by greenjay
xx
Electric vs Petrol?

Started by FatGaz on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 22:49
by bonjives

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.