Which is better - a sunny greenhouse or one which is warmer overnight?

• 3 Replies

Yana

I am fortunate in having more than one greenhouse (two aluminium ones and one wooden greenhouse/shed combo) and during the summer the sun is high enough in the sky not to be a problem and the overnight temperatures aren't that different in the greenhouses.
This is the first winter for the wooden greenhouse/shed combo and I've noticed that the low sun means that the greenhouse bit gets the sun but not as much as the aluminium ones and the wooden greenhouse retains the warmth overnight better than the aluminium ones.
My question is this .....
I'm growing salad leaves, pak choi, and the like in wooden crates lined with black plastic and drainage holes punched in the plastic / drilled in the bottom of the crates. Would the crates be better off in a sunnier greenhouse that is colder overnight or a less sunny greenhouse that keeps warmer overnight??
Please don't suggest moving the crates morning and evening between greenhouses as they are quite heavy.  :(
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

jrko

I'd take sunlight.  Drives the growth.  That's as long as the temp drop at night isn't cataclysmic  :D
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
Large temperature difference day/night shock plants and cause them distress.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
I'd go for the sunshine and fleece the crates at night
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.