Should Greenhouses be Banned on Allotments?

• 5 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« on: April 19, 2019, 23:05 »
Should we ban the use of glass on allotments in case somebody cuts themselves? Is it just a sensible precaution or health and safety, nanny-state culture gone mad? I took a look at the facts.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jaydig

Re: Should Greenhouses be Banned on Allotments?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 14:49 »
Why not go the whole hog.  Let's ban forks in case someone inadvertently  puts one through their foot, spades in case of amputation of toes, rakes in case someone steps on one and hits themselves in the face, garden lines in case somebody trips up, and hoses likewise.  Let's ban canes in case anyone bends down and takes their eye out, bonfires  in case someone gets a blister etc. etc. etc.
Life is never without risk, and everyone needs to be responsible for their own actions, and take reasonable care not to injure themselves or anyone else. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 20:51 »
As I pointed out in the article - greenhouse glass accidents are on a par with forks, canes and so forth but spades are almost twice as dangerous.  Of course, the highest risk is people who drive to their plot.
Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for the year ending June 2018 shows, there were: 1,770 reported road deaths. 26,610 people killed or seriously injured. 165,100 casualties of all severities, a decrease of 6% - HMG

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 22:09 »
I remember taking boxloads of broken glass to the tip over a number of years on my old plot - clearly there had been an old greenhouse on site at some point in the past … really dangerous  :mad:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 23:20 »
I remember taking boxloads of broken glass to the tip over a number of years on my old plot - clearly there had been an old greenhouse on site at some point in the past … really dangerous  :mad:
But you survived! :)

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 16:20 »
When I took over my plot originally I unearthed all kinds of rubbish that had been buried.  Included in this was what seemed to be every window frame from a house, including broken glass - very dangerous because it was hidden under the soil, most of an old shed, complete with what appeared to be most of the contents, including some ancient ironmongery, bags of old clothes, broken pottery and everything else under the sun.  It must have taken much more effort to bury it than to take it to the tip, or hire a skip. No thought had ever been given to the safety of anyone who followed after and, as I was doing, trying to dig over an abandoned section of the plot.
A cotton wool ball can be dangerous if used incorrectly, so I believe that we all need to look out for both ourselves and others, and think about the consequences of whatever we may do.
Stay safe, everyone!

xx
Snapshot of the greenhouses

Started by John on New Across The Site

0 Replies
Last post May 15, 2020, 19:51
by John
xx
Greenhouses Survive Storm Brendan

7 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:07
by John
xx
Storm Eunice Damages Both Greenhouses

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2022, 12:32
by John
xx
A New Approach to Allotments

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2023, 23:22
by John

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 43 queries.