egg or shell

• 10 Replies

maddog

egg or shell
« on: September 24, 2011, 13:18 »
Please help, I have three chickens in the garden and they keep laying the egg first and then the shell.  Thought it was just one of them for a start but they seem to be taking turns.   They are otherwise very healthy but I didnt know if there was anything I could give them to help.  Don't like it if they are poorly.  Any advice would be helpful.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: egg or shell
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 13:33 »
I've no helpful ideas, but I suspect our experts will be around shortly with suggestions.

It would probably be helpful to know what breed they are, how old they are and whether they have previously laid "wrapped" eggs or if they're just starting out - and any other details you can add.
ManicMum

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 14:15 »
chickens often do this when they start out laying.  Make sure they are being fed layers pellets and only a handful of treats per day or they will eat the treats in preference to the pellets.  they need access to oyster shell and grit.  Otherwise leave them alone and they will get the hang of egg laying and there is no need to worry if they appear otherwise healthy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

maddog

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 16:01 »
They are los lomands(?) and are over a year old, they have been really good layers up to yet, even over the winter so I didnt know if they had something the matter with them.  They are otherwise quite healthy tho, they have mash first thing in morning which is left out and then they like peas and sweetcorn about an hour later.   They also have some rice a bit later in the afternoon as a treat but they scratt about in the garden after about 4 pm.   Any more ideas?

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 18:48 »
You could try leaving out grit and oyster shell for them.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

maddog

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 19:37 »
I've got some grit so I think I may try that for a few days.   They've not needed it before but anything is worth a try, thanks. ::)

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 19:50 »
I think hens always need access to grit and oyster shell or they become deprived of calcium which can lead to soft shelled eggs and health problems in the birds.  They also need it to digest their food.  Our birds eat loads of the stuff!

maddog

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 19:56 »
They did say that it is already in the food that we give them but I shall give them extra.  They have never needed it before but if it helps its worth it. 8)

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 20:00 »
good luck lets hope it works!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:41 »
maddog just to clarify, you just need to leave the extra oyster shell and grit out where the girls will take it for themselves - don't mix it in with their food. 

The commercial foods have enough for their needs, but if you are feeding them extras like peas, corn and rice then they will need additional calcium (in the form of shell) and grit.

It sounds like they have laid a lot of eggs in a short time so hopefully they will soon take a break from laying while they moult and rest. Then their egg-laying mechanisms can take a break to recharge over winter.

Personally I would cut out all extra rations for a while and just keep them on their staple food to see if that helps.  Once they have re-set their systems you could gradually introduce small amounts of extras.

maddog

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06 »
Thanks for that, perhaps they do get a few too many treats.   They do eat all their mash tho but I shall cut out (or down) on the treats.

xx
No shell

Started by Pattie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 20:35
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Egg Shell

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 10:49
by LittleRedHen
xx
egg but no shell

Started by buggie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 17:27
by buggie
xx
egg shell

Started by cooky on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 21:15
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 33 queries.