feeding chicks

• 3 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
feeding chicks
« on: July 17, 2009, 14:02 »
hi, i feed my 4 week old hybrid chicks on medicated chick crumb, should i be giving  them any thing else. one of them had diarrhoea at the moment, i have read about apple vinegar whould this be good, or poultry spice. i have been given some samples of life guard and not sure if i should use it. also they are due to move onto grow pellets in a few weeks shoudl this also be medicated? i did read some where that you shouldnt feed them medicated food for more than 12 weeks, or have i got this wrong.

Roughlee Handled

Re: feeding chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 14:38 »
Most growers are medicated unless you get organic.  I would not give them medicated past 16 weeks as from then they could lay. So I start them on Layer pellets. 

Keep an eye out for blood in the poo. It is a sign of coccidiosis and they then would need to be taken off the medicated and given none medicated and have Coxiod put in there water.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) does aid digestion.  But you will need the version from the feed merchant not the supermarket.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 21:14 »
one thing with medicated chick crumb, it does tend to give them the runs, particulary if you change brands when they are very young.  :) I dont use it, and use organic chick crumb.

danmegal

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 22:31 »
Hi sorry to butt in, I have noticed that my mommy hens poos are alot smellier since adopting a diet of chick crumbs with her little ones, is there anything I can give her to help the wiff, I'm clearing up after them as often as is possible.

xx
feeding chicks

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 18:14
by Jo57
xx
feeding chicks

Started by kevans on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feeding chicks

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 21:38
by ck2day
xx
feeding chicks

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 15:05
by JaK

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 37 queries.