Bay trees

• 17 Replies

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Bay trees
« on: June 18, 2008, 18:25 »
My in-laws have had two lovely standard bay trees, one each side of their front door for quite a number of years, but they've recently been neglected, so they've decided to get rid of them and replace them with new ones.

I'm sure they can be rescued and revived, so am having them, and am hoping someone on here might be able to help!!! I will probably plant them into the ground - or would they be best repotted - albeit into bigger pots? Can I just dig in/repot them in normal compost or do they need anything special? What about feeding them? They've got a bit leggy and off colour - pos from lack of water? Or are they prone to anything more sinister?!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Bay trees
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 18:38 »
You could try cuttings.

A few weeks ago took six off ours, all have rooted.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Bay trees
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 18:50 »
If you want to repot,do it in a bigger pot with crocks at the bottom and in normal multi purpose compost - dont feed them - they like a quite nutrient free soil, but give them lots of water. If you want them in the ground remember they like free draining soil, and add a handful of chicken pellets in the hole, and water lots (unless like me you can rely on the deluge over the next few days) They also like full sun, arent too great with wind, and can need protection from frost

I bought two dying ones at different times and rescued them, they look great in containers now, one exactly like mine is on sale at local garden centre for £50!! And its only a diddy one,so for sure the best 'hospital corner' plants I ever bought!
Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lincspoacher

Bay trees
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 19:06 »
If you dig up a Bay tree and replant it , it will sulk for about two years. If the target site is more alkaline, it'll sulk for even longer. You can also expect it to drop all its leaves and then do nothing until next February.

Bay Trees seriously do NOT like being moved!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Bay trees
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 19:20 »
Gotta say Lincs, I have heard this before, and Ive repotted 3 now. That didnt happen to me, they only flourished after Id done it.  :D  Mind you, the two were so far gone that I wouldnt have been surprised if they had sulked and would have assumed they died.

I didnt touch the rootball i.e. teasing out etc, and maybe that helped?

Paula

agapanthus

Bay trees
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 22:15 »
Munty dug up (not too carefully I might add) 2 bay trees from my garden when I lived in Ipswich. Moved to scotland with them in black bin liners and forgot about them for a few weeks. Put them in large pots with john innees no 1 and they are doing fine......loads of new growth!  Try it .....you've nothing to lose! :)

lincspoacher

Bay trees
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 22:16 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Gotta say Lincs, I have heard this before, and Ive repotted 3 now. That didnt happen to me, they only flourished after Id done it.  :D  Mind you, the two were so far gone that I wouldnt have been surprised if they had sulked and would have assumed they died.

I didnt touch the rootball i.e. teasing out etc, and maybe that helped?

Paula

Oh most definitely. The best way to move them is to dig around the root ball using Cornish or Welsh miners, and then use two cranes to lift the 20 tonnes 10 foot diameter lump. It def wont sulk then. If you get any closer to the roots it will.

Ive personally seen them sulk, so i guess you were lucky. But then, nothing is certain in horticulture.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Bay trees
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:49 »
everyone says bays like total sun, but I have three and the one that sits in the shady area of my garden is fantastic.  But the ones in full sun are always a hassle, with leaves turning yellow and falling off on a regular basis.   What I do find interesting is that some of you say they don't like to much feeding-  maybe thats my big mistake.

thanks for all the info.

purplebean

Bay trees
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:14 »
Hubby repotted ours and it didn't sulk at all

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Bay trees
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 12:14 »
Some encouraging comments - many thanks. But am now in two minds as to whether I plant them in pots or the ground!!!!

agapanthus

Bay trees
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 12:49 »
Personally I would put them in the ground if I had the space :)

GreenOwl

Bay trees
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 13:28 »
We have a bay tree in the ground.... its a pest.  Trim it and it just grows more.  Hubby cut 8 foot off it 2 weeks ago (it was starting to menace the telephone line.)  Its already got new growth showing.  Keep them in pots and restrict their growth - otherwise they take over and turn into big trees.  Can't comment on moving them, it was there when we moved her but they do sprout from old wood.  I believe you can use them for topiary.

lincspoacher

Bay trees
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 16:44 »
Quote from: "GreenOwl"
We have a bay tree in the ground.... its a pest.  Trim it and it just grows more.  Hubby cut 8 foot off it 2 weeks ago (it was starting to menace the telephone line.)  Its already got new growth showing.  Keep them in pots and restrict their growth - otherwise they take over and turn into big trees.  Can't comment on moving them, it was there when we moved her but they do sprout from old wood.  I believe you can use them for topiary.

If you have any sense you use them for cooking...........

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Bay trees
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 22:52 »
Thanks for the advice. Well we finally got them in. Planted them in the ground rather than pots. One seems to have picked up really well, but I think the other might not make it. Am keeping my fingers crossed.

Would it make any difference if I pruned it? Or should I leave it and just wait?

Gwiz

Bay trees
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 06:17 »
I think I'd just leave it for the moment. plenty of water and maybe a liquid feed of some sort. :D

xx
trees

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2017, 17:17
by chrissie B
clip
Can Anyone Help with Fiq Trees

Started by Kghareeb on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 18:46
by sunshineband
xx
yew trees

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 08:47
by simongrow250
xx
yew trees

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 19:19
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 34 queries.